Newbie from VA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by logansmommy7, Nov 12, 2009.

1. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Hi all-

I am new to the goat world, and going to pick up my first two goats ever tomorrow. I am getting two Nigerian Dwarf whethers for pets/weed clearance on my farm. I am excited but know a minimal amount of care, etc for them. They are 8 weeks old-should I keep them in my stall (room with good ventilation off my small barn) for several days before letting them have free reign of their yard? Are predators a major problem for these type of goats, and if so which ones (besides big dogs I would guess). Please fill me in on what I need to do to get started on the right foot. I have food and a mineral block for them to start. I was thinking of getting some probiotic to give them for a week or so during transition time as well...

Advice is appreciated. :stars:

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Welcome aboard. Glad you are here.

First off, I just want to say a few things. Goats need a LOOSE mineral. The blocks are ok for a second choice but NOT as the main mineral. They can not lick it enough to get what they need before it burns their tongue.

As for keeping them locked up. How big is the pen they will be in? Does it have a good fence? It really depends on how friendly they are when you get them.

As for predators. Oh lots of things would like to eat a got for a meal, so any and all goats are subject to being attacked.

Make sure they have fresh clean water all the time along with free choice hay. As babies being taken away from mom, they will need to be able to eat when they are hungry.

Now when you get them we NEED to see them so you have to post a picture or so. :stars:

3. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Thanks for the great advice. I will get loose mineral asap. They have a fairly big stall with a door for their shelter (not sure about exact dimensions, sorry) but plenty of room for 3 full size cows to rest comfortably. Anyway..it will be a good place for them and I will provide plenty of straw for bedding and lots of yummy hay to eat. I read some place that wethers don't need grain after the first year. Is thish correct? I assume they need it as growers. Please let me know how much they should get per day.

THANKS!! :help:

4. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Welcome from Ohio!!! :clap: :wave:

5. kids-n-peeps

kids-n-peeps New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Virginia
    Hey - I know you :wave: Glad you joined The Goat Spot.

I'm pretty sure our local Tractor Supply now has loose minerals formulated specifically for goats. They didn't have them at the time I needed to buy, so I ordered Golden Blend from Hoegger's. Their delivery was pretty quick.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    welcome from northern California.. :wave: .so happy to have you here...... :greengrin:

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    :wave: Welcome to TGS...you'll love it here!!

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome!!!

Yes, pics of your new babies are a must!

As was mentioned TSC has started to carry MannaPro goat minerals, a 1/2 cup in a dish set high enough to keep berries out of it will do nicely. As far as grain goes...TSC also carries a number of goat specific feeds, I use Blue Seal Caprine Challenger with all my goats...as 8 week olds a half cup each 2x a day will be good to start with and a flake of a mixed grass hay available to them while they are stalled...it is best to keep them contained in the smaller area til they bond with you, once that happens you can allow them access to their pasture and even walk the fenceline with them so they know the boundaries and feel secure enough to venture out on their own to browse.

9. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Welcome from another Ohioan. Glad you found TGS.

10. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Well since I Posted this I have added two ND does to our clan. One is potentially bred, we took her to our friend's buck two weeks ago. I want to post pics but haven't figured out how to make them small enough for the website to accept. Will keep trying...I got a profile pic of one of our boys but haven't had a chance to get the others on yet!

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wow...your herd is growing! Congrats on the new additions!

Easiest way to add pics would be to open a photobucket account, upload from your pc files and you can resize with photobucket.
    www.photobucket.com after that all you need to do is copy and paste the image code

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Oh ...congrats...they are addicting ...I know you can't stop at one...two...three.....ect....ect...LOL :D