Newbie from Washington

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bheila, Jan 20, 2009.

1. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Hello everyone, I found this great website because of an awful situation. I have 1 wether and 1 doe who are both 7 months. I bought my doe about 2 months ago not knowing that she could've been bred. I just thought that she was in heat. Now I know better. 2 weeks ago I went out to feed the goats in the morning as I always do and I noticed Daisy had a bloody backside. I immediately ran to the goat shed. There were 2 half frozen babies just laying there. 1 was pretty dried off and the other was still really wet. It was about 20 degrees outside and snow on the ground, at least Daisy was smart enough to have the kids in the shed. I ran the kids in the house an put them in front of a heater. The wet kid sounded like it still had fluid in its lungs so I got my daughters booger sucker and sucked the fluid out. After about 8 hours I finally got them to the point where they could stand on their own and sucking on Daisy. I even milked colostrum from Daisy to make sure they were getting what they needed because they were so weak. Once they were standing, sucking, pooping and peeing on their own I moved them out of my kitchen and back out to the goat shed along with their mom. I gave them a heat lamp just to make sure they warm enough. I would go out to the shed and check on them every 2 hours. Everything was looking good. On the third night I decided that they were doing so well and Daisy's milk was coming in that they didn't need me to babysit them anymore. All night I had this bad feeling for some reason. When I woke up the next morning I ran out to check on them and both of the kids were dead. I can't begin to explain how upset I was and still am. I cried for 3 days straight. When I think about it now it still brings me to tears. I know that everything happens for a reason it's just too bad that mother nature can seem so cruel sometimes. So that's the story of what brought me to this great website. I know that I will have a bazillion questions that you guys have answered before and I hope you don't get tired of answering mine. On a better note I'm going to pick up a Pygmy doe who is bred to a Nygerian buck due in April. So I have a little time to prepare for kids.
    Here are pics of Daisy and Chester. Chester is the Pygmy and Daisy we think is a Pygmy/Nygerian cross. Here is a picture of Daisy and her kids.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh sweety - I am sooo sorry about what you went through :hug:

You have two BEAUTIFUL little goaties there. They look so sweet....

BTW - Welcome from Idaho :wave: :wave:

What part of Washington are you in? I am just outside of Coeur d'Alene, ID or Spokane, WA!!!

We are here to answer any questions for you and to help you learn and talk about anything goatie!!!

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    welcome....from California... :wave:
    I am so sorry.... you had to go through ..such a bad ordeal... :hug:
    If you have any questions ....feel free to ask..... :thumbup:
    cute goaties :love:

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'm so sorry you lost her babies, the chill they got at birth is likely the reason they passed, you did what you could :hug:

Yes, Daisy does look a nigi cross to me, very pretty girl too, now Chester could also have nigi in him too....he looks alot like the kids I've had born here! I love his belt!

I have a "young mommy" also, though she was 4 months old with an accidental breeding, she delivered a single and did very well...I chose to dry her off after her doeling was weaned so that she could put more into her growth. Your Daisy looks to be a good size for being 7 months old...since she was bred at 2 months of age it was likely a brother that sired her babies.

Love Daisy as much as you can...extra hugs and scratches....she will be crying for her babies for a few days and her udder is going to be full and tight for those babies, you can milk her a bit to relieve pressure and with hold her grain for awhile to dry her off.

Welcome....and please ask anything you want....we are always willing to help.....Thank You for sharing your "kids" with us, I am so sorry about the tragic way you "found us".....better days are coming :hug:

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    First off, welcome!! :wave: I'm from Yakima, WA area. What part of WA are you from??

I'm so sorry to hear about the kids. That's to bad. Those things happen, justa part of having goats.

The doe looks really young, i'm guessing just around a year and a half. If she was bred really young then her mothering instincts just might not have caught on. Anywho, so sorry to hear that.... :hug: .... Glad to have you here!!

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    OH how terrible!!! :hug: They were such beautiful babies. You did everything right, I wouldnt have thought to do anythign else.

Ask as many questions as you like, there is always someone around.

Welcome!!

7. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Welcome from AL :wave: I am so very sorry about your two kids! We have all been through things like this, and I am very sorry for your loss and what you went through :hug: . I am very happy you are here though, and feel free to jump on in and start posting! :thumb:

8. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Vernonia, Oregon
    Losing babies is so crishingly hard, I am so very sorry!

I am sure your next babies will be perfect!

BTW, your goats are very very cute!!
    Also welcome!! I didn't notice what paret of Washington you are in??
    We are practicly neighbors!! I am in the NW tip of Oregon!! :wave:

9. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    Thank you for the warm welcome everyone :grouphug: I have to say a big THANK YOU to Kate(Helmstead) for refering me to this site. Daisy was a really good mom and I/she was really lucky that she didn't have any complications having the kids. She cried for the kids when I took them out of the shed so I left them for her for a day so she could figure it out for herself. I milked her for the first week and then just a little everyday. She is pretty much dried up now. I live 25 miles Southeast of Seattle in Kent Washington. The seller that I got Daisy from told me that she was only about 5 months old when I got her. Once I told the seller that she had babies then she said that maybe she was older. And yes she confirmed it was probably one of her brothers who bred her.

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I am so sorry - I hate irresponsible breeders in the aspect of not even knowing how old she is or letting a brother run with her being that old - it just irritates me. It makes it really hard for people, as in your case.

But at least momma is ok!

Helmstead - THANKS for the referral....

And if you ever get to the East side of the state - let me know - we would be happy to have you out to the small ranch we call home!

11. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Welcome to TGS, from Ohio :wave:

So sorry to hear about the babies, it's really tough to lose the little ones. But your goats are adorable, and you can love on Daisy a little bit extra, it will help both of you.

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Welcome! :wave: I too am so sorry to hear about your loss. It's so hard when we lose precious babies and you did work so hard to save them. :hug: Your goats are so cute!!

We're pretty close to you too. I live in NW Oregon with a small herd of registered Nigerian Dwarf and a few NPGA Pygmy does. Glad to have you here with us!

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I feel so alone on this little state of NJ :shades: LOL

14. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I'm so sorry to hear about your babies... :cry:

But welcome to The Goat Spot...glad you joined!!

15. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    oh Bheila please accept my condolences too....it was awful cold here two weeks ago!!!Up here in Snohomish.

16. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
  17. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Welcome to TGS! The people here are great with knowledge and support. I'm so sorry about losing your two little ones... after three days that would have made it even harder.

18. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Stacey, you could move to Ohio! :ROFL:

19. KikoFaerie

KikoFaerie New Member

Jan 21, 2008
    So. Central Kansas
    Welcome from No. Central Oklahoma!