Newbie, goat not acting right?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Saddlebum, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan
    Hi All! I'm new and have a 3 yo wether to keep my horse company. He's very over weight. I give him just a small palm of oats with salt and minerals added just once a day. Otherwise, he gets as much 1st cutting hay as he wants to eat. I live in Northern Michigan. This am, he didn't get up to eat his 1/2 cup of oats. When I put the bucket under his nose, he nosed it but didn't eat. I went to work and tonight, he did get up but seemed like he was having trouble walking. He fell down and had a very hard time getting up. Mostly on the hind end. I did put a lot of fresh straw in his stall (small bedroom in a large horse size stall he can go in and out whenever he wants). He was up and eating hay when I left. I did go out and bring water to him which he was not interested in. Also, I saw him pee and that seemed fine. He walked into the horse stall and was eating the horses hay and I led him back into his stall (bar across the door so horse can't get in) and he was eating hay when I left. Maybe nothing but I was scared when he had to struggle to get up and his hind end didn't seem to function right. I tried to run my hands down his hind legs from the top down and he was uncomfortable with that and wouldn't let me. The horse may have hurt him -- can't tell. Again, it may be nothing. I've had him since he was 6 months old. They were feeding him straight corn and going to butcher him for meat.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome to TGS :wave:

so sorry your boy is under the weather.

as to it being an injury from the horse - could be.

I would give him 1-2 aspirin (what breed is he?) and see if that helps. If he is injured the aspirin will help with the pain.

Sounds like he is feeling a bit better since he is eating - I know I dont like to eat when I am in pain.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    He probably did get stepped on... :( .. if he is putting weight on it ........it is most likely not broken.... do as Stacey mentioned with the aspirin....and see if it helps.... :hug:

Could he be bloated ....does he have a huge belly.... put out free choice baking soda,,,it will help with any bloat problems.. and help his gut.... :wink:

4. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan
    I don't think he's injured. I think he's bloated and will put out the baking soda right away! This am he's not eating and he didn't eat any hay last night. His belly is hugh and soft. I'm in a panic bc I've been called into work and can't monitor him. Thanks, X-mas am is not the time to be calling a vet in. I'll be gone about 4 hrs and then back home!

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I would check his eyelids as a huge belly can also be a sign of worms.

6. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan
    First, he's a Nubian, sorry. Then, I don't think it could be worms, I'm very good about worming and it was about 2 weeks ago he was wormed with ivermectin paste. I was able to get a small tsp of baking soda in his mouth before I left this am. Just now, nearly 5 hrs later, I found him standing in the horses stall, so he's got up and moved around a bit. Also, he may have eaten some hay, not sure. I tried sticking the bowl of baking soda under his mouth but 'not' interested. Should I try to force some in his mouth? Is there an easier/better way of getting the bs in him? He is quite round and soft in the belly area. Because he's standing up, I'm a little less worried about losing my goatie on X-mas. Thank You!!!!

7. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan
    Opps, if I check his eyelids, what am I looking for? Anything else that I can check for? I will do a search on bloat on this board. Whew...

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes.. you can force it down him...I take some in my hand ..and have someone open the mouth and put it in...... Also... give probiotic paste for goats.....it will help ...his gut get back to normal go by the instructions....

As for the eye lids....it is a nice pink color... you want to see.....if it is light pink or white....that is not good....and he may have a big worm load...and or possible cocci..... Have his fecal tested..

Have you taken his temp? If he isn't eating right ...and has no temp....it may be a tummy ache ... His rumen may be off..... It may be a mild bloat.... if it is a more severe bloat... he needs more than just baking soda....

Massage the left side /both sides....lift up the head ...stretching the neck and rub the neck for a burp .....

Is his stomach extended out above his left rib cage...that would be bad bloat?

When you thump on his belly what sound do you hear...? hollow sound..or?

...Do you hear gut sounds on the left side ...that is where the rumen is...

Don't feed grain....

http://fiascofarm.com/goats/bloat.htm

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you have ot forcefeed the baking soda when they are bloated.

add a little water to the baking soda -- form like ball best you can and then stuff it in his mouth.

if he is chewing cud and you hear rumen sounds (upper left side) then bloat is not his problem

10. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan
    His temp is 101.4. He did not want me to take it so did get up then. He peed after I took his temp and that was fine, no straining. He was shivering and it's not that cold 32-34 deg., he has a very good winter coat, he has a ton of straw to lay on. I looked at his eyelid and it's pink, not pale, not dark, just a pretty pink color, white around his eye ball. He looks the same on both sides when he's standing, his usual distended sides.

About an hour ago, I did give him some baking soda mixed with warm water in a syringe and gave that to him, about a good teaspoon and maybe a half.

How long does the baking soda take to work? How often should I give it?

I tried after taking his temp to get him back into his bedroom in the stall and lay down but nooooo. I left him and saw that he stood at the stall door and then walked around the post into the horses stall.

I have no money -- should I call the vet?

Worried...

11. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan
    I have those things the dr listens to your heart with, I'll go back out and have a listen to his left side.

12. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan
    no sounds! and he acts like he's drunk on the hind end. I called the vet, polio. Treat w/B vits???? I'm going to pick them up now.

13. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan
    last week sometime, I switched him from 10% sweet feed to plain crimped oats. My vet said he maybe contacted a fungus in the oats and this has caused the Polio. It's not like ppl polio, it's not contagious, no vaccine, just gets it from a contanimated grain. It's not a for sure diagnosis. We talked on the phone and I went down to her clinic just now and picked up injections with B Vits. and one clear injection along with a tube of probiotic to give him. She said she thinks I did him wrong with the baking soda. Because he's staggering, he may never get over this as the Polio has progressed too far. Or, he may get 100% if caught in time. Time will tell. Thank you all ever so much for giving to me on this special day. Everyone's heart was in the right place.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    polio usually has them staring off into space -- but ti could be the first stages of it, not sure since i Have never delt with polio before

Polio is a possibility as is listeriosis - which are two different treatments
    try this site
    http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... iosis.html

no bakign soda wont harm him -- believe me

15. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I wouldn't rule out meningeal worm either.

Do you have any whitetail deer in your area?--I assume you do because you live in MI and they're kind of all over the place in most areas. They are carriers of meningeal worm. The symptoms you listed are similar to the symptoms of a meningeal worm infection.

Check out this recent thread: http://thegoatspot.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11231&hilit=meningeal+worm

FYI--Ivermectin in the dose used for worms in the G.I. tract does NOTHING for meningeal worm. It is a very tough case to deal with...

16. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan
    I haven't checked the links you guys have provided yet. I have to comment on him staring into space, he does and kinda lists back and forth while standing still, like a drunk person would when trying to stand straight. I just gave him his second does of Vit. B's. He was lying down in his bedroom in the stall and shivering. It's 40 deg on my back porch which means it no less than 38 deg. out where he's at. He's very sick. The vet did not do an exam, I didn't have her out, just phone and saw her when I went to pic up the shots. She just had one yesterday with Polio. She feels fairly confident. She's basing her diagnosis mostly on me changing feed from sweet to just oats recently and then of course the symptoms. I guess time will tell. I'll go check the links out now. His lower lip is pucker, I'm bummed.

17. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Take his temp again to see what it is. If its low his rumen will shut down. See if he will drink some very warm water with a little molasses( if you don't have any you can use anything to give it flavor, kool aid, coffee, etc) in it. This will help warm him up from the inside and provide some fluids. IF I remember right, with polio you will see a dramatic improvement after a Thiamine shot, if its really low he will decline again and may need another shot. Listeriosis and polio mimic each other and are treated very different.

You may have to use blankets to keep him warm if hes cold outside.

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... iosis.html

18. Saddlebum

Saddlebum New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    Michigan
    Yup, I checked out the links and feel it is Polio. I'm off to put a blanket on him and offer him warm water. He's got a flake of hay under his nose, nooooooooo way. I'll recheck his temp again too.

19. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the one thing about these symptoms is that they are VERY close and it is recommended that you treat for both since if you start treatment to late on either then they wont be treatable

Im not trying to press you to do anythign jsut provide you with all the information I can.

note the bold

20. citylights

citylights Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Polio can present as them being very stiff and uncoordinated...could also come from them ingesting mold. You may think, "But I haven't fed moldy hay!" When it is wet out, think about the feeders and how a little bit of feed can get stuck in the crevices or at the bottom. If you have wet hay that smells bad in or around your feeders, you could also have mold... Keep up witht he Vit B. Banamine also helped my buck relax the stiffening