Newbie Goat owner questions

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by dairyfairy, Oct 26, 2015.

1. dairyfairy

dairyfairy Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Hi!
    I'm a brand new goat owner and I loving it so far. I've had my goats for about 6 weeks, and I knew so little when I got them, that I'm just now able to formulate some questions!
    How can I keep odor down? Do I muck out their pen weekly, monthly? I was advised against any bedding, and I've mucked out their pen once already. They are in a pen approximately 3/4 acre big.

( I have saanens, btw. I milk twice a day and my doe is pregnant.)
    I received the previous owner's medicine cabinet of dewormers and vitamins. How do I know when they need B-12 or garlic paste or some of the others?

We think my doe is due in January, and she is just starting to dry off a little bit. My plan was to be finished milking her by Nov. 15. I don't know if she's due in the middle or beginning or latter part of January, just January. Do you think November 15 is a good date, or should I dry her off sooner?

Thanks in advance! I know this is a lot!!

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Barn lime for odor. Dried off Nov 15 is fine.

3. Laney3535

Laney3535 New Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Southern California
    Do you have a barn? Or a shelter for your goats? Bedding is very very important. Straw or pine shaving are best.

B-12 is for when they are lethargic, not eating, or sick. Garlic is for when they are sick.

Are you actively trying to dry her off? Because she needs to be completely dry at LEAST 1 month before kidding. If she isn't she won't produce the proper milk. In the first 2 weeks of lactation they produce colostrum which is very very essential to the babies. the colostrum is what gives them their antibodies. So I would start drying her off now :)

Is there any way to find out when she is due exactly? It came make things run a lot smoother if you know when they will be kidding.

Make sure you have a kid kit set up for when you doe starts to go into labor. She may need help and you have to be able to be there to help her.

Do you know what signs of kidding look like?

4. Laney3535

Laney3535 New Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Southern California

Make sure you use Barn lime, NOT AG lime. We made that mistake once. Especially if there is no bedding.

5. MoonShadow

MoonShadow FancyDay Farm

Mar 1, 2015
    I would lay down some barn lime after you completely cleaned it out to cut down on odor then put down some sort of bedding. I use pine wood chips over the lime and then put down a nice layer of hay(you could skip on the wood chips I just like the smell and that it keeps bugs away).

I clean completely as needed during the summer(every 2 to 3 weeks probably) then when fall comes around I let the hay pile deep up through winter(spot clean as needed) then clean out completely when spring rolls back around and start the whole process over again. I let it pile up because it gets rather cold during winter where I am and it keeps them warmer.

I would dry off 3 months before kidding but some people I know start to dry off at two months so Nov 15 is fine . :-D

6. dairyfairy

dairyfairy Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Laney3535 I don't really know the signs but I've been reading. How can I estimate the due date more precisely? I'm having trouble locating a vet for her.

7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Welcome to the goat spot

we dry off our milkers when 3 months bred...so if shes due Jan 15th then Nov. 15th is fine.

clean Bedding in their shelter helps keep their udder off the dirt and grime. we clean our the barn down to the dirt and let it air dry then may lay a light layers of bedding...unless there is a freak rain the girls don't often lay in the barn...as winter approaches we begin adding bedding...we prefer the pine shavings, less dust and mold then hay ect..We do not add bedding to the whole pen area...just the shelter.

as for meds...treat only as needed...worm when fecal, famancha score or body condition calls for it...Antibiotics when running a fever or has infection...vitamins when they are needing support...such as while on antibiotics, after a worming..just not feeling right...ect...

I would get in the habit of checking their famancha score...here is a link to show you how. you can even down load and print the chart. I laminate mine and keep it in the barn.
    http://goat-link.com/content/view/110/107/#.Vi-oy2SrR1M

8. Laney3535

Laney3535 New Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Southern California

The only way you can get a more accurate date is through a vet. Which will still not be spot on. I just didn't know if the breeder has her breeding date written down. Labor is usually very obvious. I can get on my computer in a couple hours and send you some pictures of signs of labor. I took pictures for a project in my 4-H group.

9. Laney3535

Laney3535 New Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Southern California
    In my own opinion Hay for bedding isn't ideal... I would definitely stick around Straw and Pine shavings. Hay seems to rot and mold reallllllly fast.

10. snrsfarm

snrsfarm snrsfarm

Jul 2, 2013
    Washington State
    We use Sweet PDZ. We have a dirt floor in our barn, so we just sweep out the poo and sprinkle it on the floor. We find that the goats really don't sleep in the barn as they prefer to be out in the open air, even in the winter. Only time they use their barn is when it is raining, snowing, high winds or way to hot. We used to put down stray/hay for bedding, but the goats really didn't use it much except when it was raining or snowing. They have good winter goats on and sleep in family groups so stay worm that way too. So it save's us on heavy barn wast removal. Here is a bit of information from Sweet PDZ's web site.

Sweet PDZ is an all-natural, non-hazardous and non-toxic mineral. It captures, neutralizes and eliminates harmful levels of ammonia and odors. Sweet PDZ is a far superior alternative to lime products for ammonia removal and moisture absorption. Ammonia in stalls and barns is more than an odor nuisance. Studies have concluded that low levels of ammonia stresses upper respiratory airways placing animals at risk of pneumonia, heaves, and other serious illnesses. Sweet PDZ absorbs and neutralizes ammonia and odors while providing fresh and safe air for your animal in it’s stall.

We get ours from our local AG Supply.

As for our medicine cabinet:

We use Bo-SE, CD&T, Tetanus Antitoxin, Vitamin A D E B12 Gel, a Fortified Vitamin B Complex Gel, and a Selenium & Vitamin E Gel.

For wormers we have Noromectin Injection (1% Ivermectin) for cattle and Ivomec Eprinex Pour on for cattle.

We also use Prozap Zipcide Dust (1% Co-Ral) as need for lice.

We give a copper pill every 6 months.

We use the Sweetlix 16:8 Meat Maker Mineral (25 lb loose mineral bag)

I'm sure there is a lot more in our barn/medical cabinet. But that is the jest.

11. MoonShadow

MoonShadow FancyDay Farm

Mar 1, 2015
    Oups Meant to say Straw not hay!! I would never waste good hay on bedding. Haha :)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  12. Laney3535

Laney3535 New Member

Jun 24, 2012
    Southern California

Hahah okay good

13. dairyfairy

dairyfairy Member

Sep 29, 2015
    I don't know how to quote you in this reply, but thanks to everyone for the info!!! I'm writing it down! I love The Goat Spot!!!