The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to sick babies that were sold to me. One arrived with a hoof infection... Treating with peroxide and alcohol. Only found the injury this morning. Second goat looks like respiratory infection. One 5ml dose it probiotics. He also has something going on with his hoof. Treated the same. Trimmed the hoof and sprayed with peroxide and alcohol. He's eating and drinking, but laying around a lot.

·
14,760 Posts
So sorry! I know that is frustrating! I would take both goats temperature since one has a respiratory issue and they came together. Should be 101.5 to 102.5, although sometimes they will run higher around 103.0.
If temp is normal, just going off of the little bit of info, I'd probably start the respiratory goat on LA200 1cc per 20lbs. 1x a day for 5 days - it may also help with the hoof issue (looks like sever hoof scald that's been left untreated).

Is it just one foot on each goat or more than 1 foot? There are a variety of treatments. You can buy thrush buster, Koppertox (expensive, sometimes can find generic), LA200 and/or LA200 squirted on the foot.
Something we've done that has worked well in situations like that - Dr. Naylor's Hoof n'Heel. We clean out a water bottle, cut the bottom off, fill the bottom with some of the Hoof n'Heel, put it on the goats foot, then duct tape it so it stays on. Leave it for about 15-20 minutes then take it off. Repeat 1x a day for a few days until you see improvement then go to every other day, and then back off to 2x a week when it's almost completely healed.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,400 Posts
Karen’s suggestion for the respiratory problems, yes ^^^^ draxxin definitely, or nuflor could be good too. Tylan is good though.

The one with the respiratory issue should also be getting garlic and vitamin c for the immune system.

Take the temp of both goats as well.

The one with the hoof problem would also benefit from garlic and vitamin c. I would take LA200 and in a syringe WITHOUT the needle, squirt it directly on the foot.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,400 Posts
So sorry! I know that is frustrating! I would take both goats temperature since one has a respiratory issue and they came together. Should be 101.5 to 102.5, although sometimes they will run higher around 103.0.
If temp is normal, just going off of the little bit of info, I'd probably start the respiratory goat on LA200 1cc per 20lbs. 1x a day for 5 days - it may also help with the hoof issue (looks like sever hoof scald that's been left untreated).

Is it just one foot on each goat or more than 1 foot? There are a variety of treatments. You can buy thrush buster, Koppertox (expensive, sometimes can find generic), LA200 and/or LA200 squirted on the foot.
Something we've done that has worked well in situations like that - Dr. Naylor's Hoof n'Heel. We clean out a water bottle, cut the bottom off, fill the bottom with some of the Hoof n'Heel, put it on the goats foot, then duct tape it so it stays on. Leave it for about 15-20 minutes then take it off. Repeat 1x a day for a few days until you see improvement then go to every other day, and then back off to 2x a week when it's almost completely healed.
Normal temperature for a goat is 101.5-103.5.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
UPDATE: so...I was able to get my hands on some LA200 and "Joker" got an injection tonight AFTER I squeezed a disgusting amount of puss and blood out of his hot hoof. I believe it is an abscess. So I drenched it with something herbal I found (after treating it several times with peroxide and alcohol and little success.). Tomorrow I will clean it again and use the LA200 topically as you've suggested. He is eating brush we bring in and his grain allotment as well as water. So I'm praying he'll be fine.

The other little one (haven't named him yet) got a dose of VetRX in each nostril and I'm wondering should I give him LA200 as well? Also, he and his brother were not given CDT yet. They were just weaned. Should I give it to him with the LA200?

I'm thinking that the goats I bought from this breeder did not receive good trimming practices. Dreading taking on my one 6 month old "Brute", but it needs to be done.

On top of that I came home to one with scours--after we had just cleaned the entire half of barn out. So, we cleaned up everything we could find and wiped off anyone who was poopy (I guess some laid in it or got hit by it.). In any case, he was given meds and cleaned as best we could. I literally sprayed Lysol everywhere and put down fresh straw. Not sure if that was the thing to do, but I sanitized everything including the Pitchfork and wheelbarrow. I do not want anything spreading!

One exhausted goat Mom tonight. But I am content we did all we could. I'll check back in the morning to see if there are any suggestions. I need to go to town for fence. We're racing to get an 1.5 acre section of ground fenced for these 9 Billy goats...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
P.S. I have also been giving them fresh garlic cloves and they are eating it. How often should I offer the garlic? I also gave them fresh ginger the one night. They ate it up! I heard these two are natural wormers???

·
Registered
30,675 Posts
I would not vaccinate while they are not feeling well. wait until they are fully recovered. Were you able to get the temps? as stated 101.5-103.5 is normal range. If his breathing is raspy and temp elevated I would begin antibiotics. La 200 is not the best choice but if its all you have on hand then yes, give it..1 cc per 20# sub Q once a day for 5 days. Garlic can be given once or twice a day. Ginger once a day is fine too. Garlic is great immune booster, natural antibiotic and does help with parasites, I would not use as my sole prevention however.

Reactions: Wildcat

·
14,760 Posts
Yes 101.5 to 103.5 I hit 0 by mistake. Although I will say I rarely see a temp over 103.0 unless they are sick or it's extremely hot and humid.

LA200 works really well on respiratory issues, but it is all in what you prefer to do and what is available. If you can't get something from a vet then you have to use over the counter.
I've never had to use a Rx antibiotic in 9 years of raising goats. Not saying it won't ever happen, but I am okay with the stats so far.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What kind of thermometer do you use? 60 seconds of waiting on a squirming kid doesn't seem doable...

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Infant thermometer, Playtex baby, with the flexible tip for their comfort, cause they are squirming kids. Also, being made for infants, this is designed and intended for rectal temperature taking. Got a couple of these from Dollar General at about $ 2.75 - 3 each. Reads quicker than 60 seconds, half that time best I can remember off the top of my head. A little dab of lubricant on the tip helps with insertion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts