The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to goats and this app but maybe this will post right lol. :)

I have raised bottle babies for a few years but never kept them after they were weaned and have never had any problems, but i do realise that older goats have more diseases and sicknesses. Now i have 4 mixed breed does and a mixed young buck, 3 boer nannies, a young boer doe from one of the nannies, and a young boer buck. No one is pregnant and it will probably be a little while because our oldest buck is only 5 months and doesn't seem interested. We live on 15 or more acres but only about 6 are fenced in and they share it with 2 horses. Is their any tips or anything that is important i should know? Any recommended feed, feeding or vaccination plan that will help? And I don't want to mess up and put it in the wrong place, but where would be the best place to post about keeping or culling help because i need to sell a few. Sorry about all the questions any help will be gladly appreciated. :)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Hmm, that is a lot of questions, lol! :) welcome to the forum! You'll learn a lot here, and everyone's very helpful. What questions do you want answered first? Cause each one could fill a whole thread, lol!
If you have only meat goats, I won't be that much help because we've only had dairy goats, but I'm sure someone will pitch in about that.
I will say that your goats probably are bred as bucklings can and will breed by two and a half, three months or earlier. But they all mature differently, so I couldn't say for sure. If he's not interested, maybe not; it's hard to tell.

·
Super Moderator
58,939 Posts
What is your goal with the goats? Once you decide your goal, that should help you decide which to sell.

I would suggest getting a good loose goat mineral to have out all the time.

I only do CDT vaccine.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm i guess that was kinda a broad question :p lol.

I guess just a good feed schedule for them, any brands or mixtures you guys like and prefer and about how much. What kind of hay and if its free choice or rationed. I dont show or anything so muscle mass dosent matter as much as i just would like to keep them a healthy size. And with the minerals we have a mineral block out but they don't touch it much so next time i go ill get them some loose kind.

·
14,615 Posts
Loose minerals really the way to go, cause goats dont have rough tongues like cattle do.
SweetLix MeatMaker is good, so is RightNow Onyx, which has higher copper content than the SweetLix.
Since those are the only two we've had experience with I cant comment on others.;)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know that was alot of questions still but just one more one of my mixed bred does is almost 2 years old and has had 1 kid that is a few months old. She is really narrow built and dosent act sick but she dosent gain weight like she used to. And when she was young she was colored like a traditional boer. But now she has this rusty look too her coat like a roan almost. I've never even heard of copper deficiency since i started reading some post on here, could that be her problem or maybe from her not liking the mineral block? Im about to wean her kid so maybe that will give her her nutrients back and get her back to her little fat self. I have a million questions but i should probably stop now before yall kill me lol :p

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the only pic i have right now of her but ill do some more research and get some good loose minerals for her and see if it does anything. Im thinking thats what is wrong.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
No one is pregnant and it will probably be a little while because our oldest buck is only 5 months and doesn't seem interested.
There is a good chance that your buck isn't interested because he already bred them. I have 2 of the cutest little girls out in the pen whose sire is a 5 month weaning buck I had, and the weaning bucks were not penned with the girls. ;)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow thank you! My little boer buck is in right beside the girls but i do have an area on the other side away from there pen. I usually walk them field to field every day because the new field doesn't have a shelter yet but it should be ready by monday. I have a lot of situating to do with deciding who to keep and who to sell but thats a whole other thread lol. It's going to be a noisy couple of days because he's such a big baby he cries about everything lol. :)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I know that was alot of questions still but just one more one of my mixed bred does is almost 2 years old and has had 1 kid that is a few months old. She is really narrow built and dosent act sick but she dosent gain weight like she used to. And when she was young she was colored like a traditional boer. But now she has this rusty look too her coat like a roan almost. I've never even heard of copper deficiency since i started reading some post on here, could that be her problem or maybe from her not liking the mineral block? Im about to wean her kid so maybe that will give her her nutrients back and get her back to her little fat self. I have a million questions but i should probably stop now before yall kill me lol :p
Yes, that is most likely copper deficiency. However, parasites could be the cause of her not gaining weight too. I have a doe whom I found out has a severe copper deficiency, however she has good weight on her still, so I'm thinking parasites too. I now copper bolus my herd, you can order them from Jeffers, and I would worm her as well. Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I'm just starting to use it, so I don't really have a review yet, but I've heard a lot of good reports on Manna Pro minerals too- you can get them at Tractor Supply. It's good for bucks as well, b/c it has added amonnium chloride, which helps to prevent Urinary calculi.
I'm still working on choosing the right feed as well, but someone reccomended Dumor to me. And BOSS (Black Oil Sunflower Seed) is really good for them to, as is beet pulp.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
My clan still gets pro mana minerals along with the copper bolus, they also get the goat and sheep mineral tubs, depending where the sheep are located:) I've also heard not so great things about the Dumor feed, actually on here. I've never used it, I use noble goat, and a sweet feed with extra minerals and vitamins.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well what I'm feeding them now is they have a lot of grazing area, most of the time free choice hay (they don't like it much), a salt block, a mineral block (I'm about to change types when i go to tsc this week), i heard alfalfa pellets will help them keep weight on so i give them some of that mixed with corn because they were out of sweet feed. I only give them a few cups a day each.

Before, i was mixing 3 different dumor goat feeds together medicated, a regular pellet, and sweet feed. But that didn't help them at all and i would let them have 3 cups in the morning and 2 at night (with all the other thing that i have above instead of the feed).

What would be something good i can put into the mix? I thought about using BOSS or beet pulp but i wanted to start slow with giving them new feed and let them get used to one kind at a time.

I usually get my feed from TSC and we have a local feed store but it only really sells show feed so anything from TSC i can probably find. :)

Thanks you guys this is a lot harder than i thought it would be but im having a lot of fun learning and yall are a big help...maybe with all y'alls coaching i might be half as goat smart as yall in a few years... Lol :p

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Haha, I'm an amateur myself; we've had goats for 5 or 6 years, but I'm only just now (since joining TGS)really learning anything!!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Im sure your doe there is copper def. but the roan color you are talking about is just her, a roan color. Her coat doesnt look all shinny so yes give the copper. It sounds like a big part of her might be worms as well, you can send a sample into the vet and they can tell you for sure. Your doe is a cross, not all boer, she might have a good chunk of dairy in her so she may never be as fat as a full boer, so keep that in mind what you see is what you get :) It sounds like your goats are like mine, they dont eat minerals and they dont eat hay if there is stuff out in their pen to eat lol, so your not alone on that :) The number one vac. I would and do tell people that they really should consider giving is the cdt. I have learned so much off of here just by simply reading other peoples posts. I would, and I guess I still do just sit here when I have nothing better to do and just read, even on the ones I know I can not give any advise. Really just starting out in anything is a learn as you go.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok thanks :D I've been reading this site before i go to bed and just from that has helped me. Alot of people take theirs to get sample but it would take alot of coaxing my parents. In my area the vets are pretty far away and most dont know about goats i do have a friend that shows goats that might be able to help pointing me to which vet would be good.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
We're you feeding 3 cups am, 2 pm for everyone total or was that what each of them were getting individually? If it was what you were feeding the entire herd, bump it up to about 3-4 cups, per head, per day. Do it slowly though. That just isn't enough for all of them together.

If tsc is where you can get feed, get a bag of dumor medicated, a bag of dumor goat sweet feed, a 10 lb bag of boss, and a 10 lb bag of calf manna. Mix it all together and feed each goat 2-6 cups daily.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts