Newbie here from WV

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by newmomma, Feb 19, 2009.

1. newmomma

newmomma New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Hey everyone, I recently acquired 4 baby boer goats. One is a set of twins and the other was a set of triplets but one died. Both mothers didn't produce milk and the owner didn't want to fool with them, so I adopted them! I've always wanted goats, pygmy to be exact but you'd bet I didn't say no, when the oppurtunity knocked. I got them when they were 4 days old and they are now almost 2 1/2 weeks old. I absolutely love them to death. Actually 2 of them are supposed to be my grandma-in-law's but she hasn't taken care of them or did anything with them, so they ARE mine. LOL. Anyway, back to the topic, I have never in my life raised goats and this was a spur of the moment oppurtunity. I knew I wanted them and would take good care of them but had to let the woman know ASAP so I said yes, before I actually had a chance to do any research, which brought me here. This board is so helpful and I've just started looking through the posts. I have a 3 month old baby boy and I'm in still in college, almost finished-so I stay pretty busy...but I wouldn't have it any other way. :greengrin:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    first off....welcome to the goat spot... :wave:
    I am sorry for your loss... :(
    you are very sweet and caring... to take in those goats in need... :hug:
    Goats are very addicting....that is for sure....We all know.... :wink:

sounds like you are very busy with your 3 month old baby....and now you have even more kids.... LOl :greengrin: :wink:
    If you have any questions ...don't hestaite to ask......and "WELCOME" :thumb:

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    WELCOME!!!!

I hope you found all that you needed "so far"! Ask anything you want, theres always a caring heart to answer questions.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome! sure do have your hands full!

welcome to the world of goats. Feel free to ask any question and we will try our best to give you the best answer possible.

5. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Welcome from one mountaineer to another! :hug: This is a great site with lots of helpful people...don't be afraid to ask questions. Congats to you on your new adventure...hope you are having fun, and the babies are doing well. Where in WV are you??

6. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
  7. newmomma

newmomma New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm from Braxton.

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Welcome from Idaho!!! :wave:

I feel your pain with the heavy load. I am taking almost a double load in college (bachelor's degree), work full time, run a ranch (goats, sheep, and horses), and have teens in the home.

Congrats on your bottle babies!! I can't wait to see pictures of them! What are you feeding them? Are they staying outside or in your home?

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    your very welcome ...feel free... to ask any questions you may have... :greengrin:

10. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW Welcome :wave: . Nothing like jumping in with both feet. that really is the best way to do it. It sounds like you are doing a great job so far. Keep up the good work.

Now this person that you go the goats from, is this going to be a good source for you for help if you need it? Now we are all her for you but we can not run over there if you need, will this person?

Do you know if the mom's get their CDT shots (two to four weeks) before the babies were born?

Yep we love pictures so we would love to see your babies. (two and four legged ones)

11. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    where in Braxton?? I'm from Upshur...1/2 way between Weston and Buckhannon. I've got nigerians - expecting babies soon.

12. newmomma

newmomma New Member

Feb 18, 2009
    Do you know where Centralia is? It's in Sutton, but just about a mile or two from Webster county.

13. newmomma

newmomma New Member

Feb 18, 2009

Yes, she will be a good source of help if I need it. Actually, I've found a very helpful woman that is just about an hour and a half from us. My husband works with her husband and they have raised boer goats for 10 years. I was so suprised and tickled to find them.

As far as the CDT shots, I'm not sure, I'm hoping to find out soon. I did purchase the CDT toxoid vaccine, when do you all give this vaccine if the mom did have it and when if she didn't?

I'll post pictures soon! :)

14. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the toxoid isnt effective till they are older - say around 9 weeks. So if you want them to have protection now (if mom did get the shot) then you can give the Antitoxin which gives imediate protection but lasts only 3 weeks. You give the toxiod after those 3 weeks are up.