The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a long post-
Kid born last Friday evening. She was a twin, we had to pull her brother, he did not make it. At birth, I give 1/2 cc Bose- First Defense Paste, and Iodine the navel.
Next evening she was still alittle weak on her back legs, but up, seemed to be eating, decided to give another 1/2 cc Bose.
Next 2 days all seemed okay, she would jump, be active, but i felt she looked thin, but i would see her eat ( but , her tail wasnt wagging like most kids when she nursed, i was told from a vet the "wagging" indicated good milk flow). I checked the doe- she let down easy, i couldnt see any reason there would be an issue nursing. Then Tuesday evening came, she looked too thin, and she was weak on her back legs. But she was still nursing. My husband really thought she was fine ( he is more of a wait and see kind of person, i tend to see and treat)...
Next morning, he came in , and said he thinks she has pneumonia. She was rapid breathing, watery eyes, and crusty stuff on her nostrils. I gave her 1/8 CC Draxxin, as she is 4/5ish pounds. I put a coat on her to help keep her warm. Hand milked the doe, started manually feeding her with a syringe ( she didnt want the bottle) I went out every 3 hours to feed her after that. I did some reading decided to give her B12- 1 1/4 cc ( i think that was too much, but read its really hard to over dose them) She was still wobbly, but kept getting back up to stand if she fell.
That evening I was out milking the doe again, she got spooked by something, jumped to move and stepped on the kid, twice.
At that point I said- she is going in the house.
I was feeding her by syringe, she wanted to stand i helped her up and she had to pee. It was pink. i instantly thought internal bleeding. But, then remembered the heavy dose of B12, with it being a deep red medication, i thought maybe it is just the "extra" B12 coming out. She was obviously in discomfort, so I gave her 1/10 cc banamine.
I placed her by our radiator to keep warm in her pen for the night. Got up in the night to feed her, but she increasingly didnt take much milk and was seeming more weak.
By 8am she was not moving much, not talking, and wouldnt make effort to swallow milk from the syringe. Her breathing was slower and more shallow, i noticed a slight bulge along her upper rib line- thinking maybe a broken rib. I kept her laying on the table by me all day in the house. Late afternoon, I finally decided i had one last trick i knew of, so i got Lactated Ringers solution, i knew she was dehydrated. She still had not peed since that last pink pee. I took her temp- 96.3. I put her on a heating pad, surrounded her with warm rice packs, and proceeded to inject 300cc of warm ringers SubQ. Within the hour, she was talking, temp was up to 101.3, and she was moving her head, then her breathing got deeper and more rapid as it was previously. I gave another 1/10 cc Banamine, and 1cc B12. I started feeding her by syringe, she started to swallow again. Her eyes started watering again. I last fed her and gave her another 100cc subq of warm Ringers at 10:30pm. Got up at 1:30 to check her, she was crying/talking. She wanted to stand, i helped her up, she stood wobbly for about 10 seconds, then got weak and tipped over. I sat her back up, she didnt eat much again, checked her temp. Down to 99.4. I turned the heat pad back on, warmed up the rice packs again. Gave her another 50cc of warm Ringers subq. After about 20 min, she was crying again, trying to stand. Helped her back up, she stood again, for a few seconds before she started to tip over. She had a decent glob of slightly cloudy snot come out of her nose. I havnt fed her again , yet, waiting to let her temp get up to atleast 101 again. She will occasionally cry out. I dont know if its from pain or hunger. I have been reading all I can, i feel like she is a mix of pneumonia and floppy kid syndrome. I dont know if i should get some thamine for her? Im lost.....

·
Super Moderator
83,140 Posts
So sorry for the loss. :(

1/2 cc Bose- First Defense Paste, and Iodine the navel was good, no need to give anymore Bo-Se.
One dose was enough.

I hope she doesn't have selenium overdose now.

Bracing the weak legs will help.
It may take a week before you see any improvement.

You are right to be concerned, you need to jump onto things quickly or you will lose the kid. But over medicating is just as bad.

The wait to see approach will kill a goat.

The antibiotic given, is a super strong. Don't know if I would of went that route.

It could be floppy kid, treat for that in case right away.

Daily Fortified vit B complex shots SQ will help too.

Sorry the kid was stepped on.
That sure did not help.

Lactated Ringers solution was good.

Don't give Banamine too often, it can be given daily, for up to 4 days.
Do know, banamine can bring down temp, if she is sub temp, can be bad, so be careful.

I honestly would seek a vet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So sorry for the loss. :(

1/2 cc Bose- First Defense Paste, and Iodine the navel was good, no need to give anymore Bo-Se.
One dose was enough.

I hope she doesn't have selenium overdose now.

Bracing the weak legs will help.
It may take a week before you see any improvement.

You are right to be concerned, you need to jump onto things quickly or you will lose the kid. But over medicating is just as bad.

The wait to see approach will kill a goat.

The antibiotic given, is a super strong. Don't know if I would of went that route.

It could be floppy kid, treat for that in case right away.

Daily Fortified vit B complex shots SQ will help too.

Sorry the kid was stepped on.
That sure did not help.

Lactated Ringers solution was good.

Don't give Banamine too often, it can be given daily, for up to 4 days.
Do know, banamine can bring down temp, if she is sub temp, can be bad, so be careful.

I honestly would seek a vet.
Thanks for the input! I used Draxxin by suggestion of our vet. I was thinking i could only give banamine 1x/day for 2 days only. I did read not to do that much longer than that. I havnt given her anything more besides Vit B . She wont take a bottle, only syringe, but she is up standing- a bit wobbly still, but strong enough to stand her self back up if she falls. and she is back to crying/ talking..ALOT. She pushed out A LOT of snot today. Havnt noticed much tonight now. My friend came and helped me tube, her just so she got a belly full, hopefully that would help her regulate temp more. We just felt she needs some calories. She is resting comfortably, wags her tail when she stands. We will see how this goes tonight.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Has she pooped? If not a warm enema may be needed .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Has she pooped? If not a warm enema may be needed .
yes, she has now. At first she had 2 little dark hard pellets. I attributed that to being dehydrated. But as of lastnight she had normal poop. She is back with her mom, temp is holding at 101.9. She just isnt "thriving", she will not eat off a bottle, we have tried all the nipples that work for our other kids. When she goes to nurse, its literally for 2 or 3 seconds, and stops. We have tubed her twice now, so i know she has atleast had 2 fully bellys' since late yesterday afternoon. she is still wobbly, but still able to get up and down, even if she tips over.

·
Registered
30,616 Posts
Hard pebbles could be dehydration but also constipation. Baby not pooping can cause a build up of toxins. Baby will act eager to eat but then only take a few sips. Hopefully with her pooping well last night she will begin to feel better. CD antitoxin would be a good idea to help rid the body of toxins. If you cant get that then milk of magnesia is next best thing. 1/4cc per pound. I would go ahead with this once and watch her through out the day..make sure she continues to poop well. If she doesn't then a warm enema may be needed. I would also continue b complex the next few days

·
Super Moderator
83,140 Posts
The black poo, could be first poo, then after that, it is milk color poo, so normal. Doesn't mean dehydration.

Glad you tube fed the kid.

Are you taking the kid out to mama to nurse? To keep a bond?
If not, you are going to have to keep trying to get the kid onto the bottle.
You cannot, tube or syringe feed indefinitely.

If mama is still loving the baby, you can put a heat lamp out there for the kid to stay warm, then go out and make sure the kid is nursing every few hours. Day and night.

I am concerned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hard pebbles could be dehydration but also constipation. Baby not pooping can cause a build up of toxins. Baby will act eager to eat but then only take a few sips. Hopefully with her pooping well last night she will begin to feel better. CD antitoxin would be a good idea to help rid the body of toxins. If you cant get that then milk of magnesia is next best thing. 1/4cc per pound. I would go ahead with this once and watch her through out the day..make sure she continues to poop well. If she doesn't then a warm enema may be needed. I would also continue b complex the next few days
She did not poop again, and my gut said she was still constipated. I did do a warm soapy enema, and within 15/20 seconds, she had 2 hard, dark clumps come out that were quite large. However, i went back out this evening and she has declined severly. I am going to get some milk of magnesia- thank you for the suggestion. I brought her back in the house for now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The black poo, could be first poo, then after that, it is milk color poo, so normal. Doesn't mean dehydration.

Glad you tube fed the kid.

Are you taking the kid out to mama to nurse? To keep a bond?
If not, you are going to have to keep trying to get the kid onto the bottle.
You cannot, tube or syringe feed indefinitely.

If mama is still loving the baby, you can put a heat lamp out there for the kid to stay warm, then go out and make sure the kid is nursing every few hours. Day and night.

I am concerned.
She is a week old now, the hard dark poo was just 2 days ago, then she had one normal poop. I put her back out with her mom yesterday once she started to improve well, and walking. She has a heat lamp. No issues with the bond between mom and kid. Actually mom goes nuts when i take the kid out of the pen. She would try to nurse, would act eager and then stop after 2 or 3 seconds. Thats why i continued to tube her again this afternoon. She had not pooped again since yesterday. I gave her a 3cc warm water enema and she had to large, very hard dark clumps come out. But, now we have a steep decline again.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Its sounds like her rumen is struggling after all the drugs and rough start. Did you give her MOM? That will help her clean out her rumen. It may take a few days with Mom daily. After her pooping is normal I would give her redcell to build the vit Bs back up for her thiamine production. Does she have minerals available to her? Does her mom get minerals?

·
Super Moderator
83,140 Posts
Being a week old the rumen isn’t started yet.

continue the enema’s to help the kid poo. Some take help for a while before they jump start.

You are doing the right thing by intervening as needed.

vit b complex SQ, nutradrench may help stimulate appetite.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts