Newbie here! Introduction

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by skatcatla, Oct 23, 2007.

1. skatcatla

skatcatla New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Hi, glad I found this site!

I've only recently been considering entering the world of goats. I live in a major urban area, so although I've always loved goats, I've not had much opportunity to own any!

I now have an opportunity to purchase a small goat brush clearing business though, so I may be asking a LOT of questions if I go through with this. I look forward to having access to all of your expertise.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh that is awesome! we are always here to help :D

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    What a useful product that would be but you're right. No animal is quite as easy as it seems to those not taking care of them.
    Welcome - I hope you find this site as helpful as I do. And let us know how you run this kind of a business.

4. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Please do tell us how you would run a business like that...sounds interesting.

5. MissMM

MissMM New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    McGregor, MN
    I wish the best to you in the brush clearing business, but recommend not getting too attached to your goats in case their's a problem. I thought of something similar, but ixnayed it when I got to reading the poisonous plants list & found the area I was thinking about for starters was mostly poisonous!:

http://kinne.net/poi-list.htm

I would totally hate myself if I put my kids in an area on purpose that contains stuff that could hurt them.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes knowing plants that are poisnous to goats is a MUST. You will want to peruse the area before letting your goats roam and eat. Even if you don't get attached to them personally it will cut into any bit of profet you are trying to creat if you have to keep replacing goats or treating them/vet care etc.

7. skatcatla

skatcatla New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    thanks for the warm welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

And the kind words of warning about possible toxins in the plants. Fortunately I'd be taking over an existing business that's been operating for about 4 years now, and the current owner has a lot of experience with most of the plants that the goats are likely to encounter. In that time she's only lost one goat, and she's still not sure what it could have been, since the plants they were browsing shouldn't have been toxic for them. I suspect it wasn't the plant itself that was toxic so much as what was sprayed on it. Some home owners have landscapers that use absolutely awful sprays.

[/i]

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah that is true.

glad you have a mentor available to you, that is always helpful in any new adventure in life.

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    WELCOME to the Goat Spot!!! Yep...you'll find lots of us willing to answer ANY question you may have.