The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, glad I found this site!

I've only recently been considering entering the world of goats. I live in a major urban area, so although I've always loved goats, I've not had much opportunity to own any!

I now have an opportunity to purchase a small goat brush clearing business though, so I may be asking a LOT of questions if I go through with this. I look forward to having access to all of your expertise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
What a useful product that would be but you're right. No animal is quite as easy as it seems to those not taking care of them.
Welcome - I hope you find this site as helpful as I do. And let us know how you run this kind of a business.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
645 Posts
I wish the best to you in the brush clearing business, but recommend not getting too attached to your goats in case their's a problem. I thought of something similar, but ixnayed it when I got to reading the poisonous plants list & found the area I was thinking about for starters was mostly poisonous!:

http://kinne.net/poi-list.htm

I would totally hate myself if I put my kids in an area on purpose that contains stuff that could hurt them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29,236 Posts
yes knowing plants that are poisnous to goats is a MUST. You will want to peruse the area before letting your goats roam and eat. Even if you don't get attached to them personally it will cut into any bit of profet you are trying to creat if you have to keep replacing goats or treating them/vet care etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the warm welcome!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

And the kind words of warning about possible toxins in the plants. Fortunately I'd be taking over an existing business that's been operating for about 4 years now, and the current owner has a lot of experience with most of the plants that the goats are likely to encounter. In that time she's only lost one goat, and she's still not sure what it could have been, since the plants they were browsing shouldn't have been toxic for them. I suspect it wasn't the plant itself that was toxic so much as what was sprayed on it. Some home owners have landscapers that use absolutely awful sprays.

[/i]
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top