The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All. I'm new to the world of goats. I've had all sorts of animals all of my life from pocket pets, exotic birds, snakes, horses, dogs, and so forth but goats are new so I'm hoping this will be a great place for me to seek advice and learn a bit too. I've been reading and learning as much as I can for a while now. I'm very excited. I would love to hear the one (or two) most valuable thing you learned when you first got your goats. Oh...I have Nigerian Dwarf babies on the way and am hoping to get a couple Pygmy babies to add to the crew. Having trouble finding them in my area. Thanks so much for your kind remarks.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You sound a lot like me with all those different pets throughout your life! Animals are just awesome all the way around. Congrats on your new babies!

The #1 most valuable lesson I’ve learned was when in doubt, get a fecal done. I would say majority of “unknown” deaths people have tend to stem from some sort worm issue. #2 is that the health of your goats is ALL about management: keeping food off the ground, keeping fresh water, minerals, and dry bedding available 24/7, deworming ONLY when necessary, and much more. You can run any breed of goat, but if you have a poor management style, you will have a rough time no matter how “hardy” the breed is

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Welcome to TGS! Goats will steal your heart really quickly.
Advice:
Beware of goat math...I started with two...now have 24 ;)
Seriously though...find a good goat vet NOW!
My friend warned me that "goats look for ways to die, and it's your job to stop them" the best way to do this is know your goats. If they look "not right" or "off", jump on it, don't wait till tomorrow, because a goat can go down faster than any other animal I've ever had.
No question is dumb or silly...ask away!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts