Newbie Kidding Thread 2020-2021

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by YouGoatMe, Nov 1, 2020.

1. YouGoatMe

YouGoatMe Well-Known Member

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Here are a few pics I took earlier. I haven't been able to take as many pictures because we've been rebuilding our chicken coop but I'll take some better pictures soon! IMG_20201114_072801458.jpg IMG_20201113_225104549.jpg IMG_20201113_225136773.jpg

2. Feira426

Feira426 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2019
    Texas
    MadHouse and YouGoatMe like this.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  4. McCarthyFarms

McCarthyFarms Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2020
    Australia
    He is too stinkin cute!

5. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    More pics from play time today! I love these little things so much!
    IMG_20201115_130044958_HDR.jpg IMG_20201115_125917173_HDR.jpg IMG_20201115_125045936.jpg

6. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Awww! They’re so adorable! I love the boys markings. I’m partial to Swiss marked and buckskins anyway though

7. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

What little lookers

8. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

I'm so late to the party (stupid internet outage making me miss adorable baby goats.) What amazing markings your new boy has! He's so cute!

9. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Thanks y'all!! I'm so smitten with them! I feel like we really lucked out with easy deliveries and healthy babies! I'm so grateful that Cole did so well even with being early too! Mamas are all being good attentive and protective mamas so I'm not needing to bottle feed anyone. Next babies should be in February and March.

Now we just have to decide who gets banded. Nova is for sure going to keep his boy parts because we want him for breeding our other Nubian and Boer. So then it comes down to if we let Cole handle the rest of the Nigerians that aren't related to him, or if we let Sheldon have another round to see if he only gives us more boys. How do y'all decide?? None of the little ones are registered and I don't even know what to look for as far as good traits for breeding.

10. MellonFriend

Go to the conformation section of the forum. There are a lot of threads that have pictures that might help you learn what to look for.

I'm going to be a first time goat midwife in spring, so as your first time kidding is there anything that you learned that all your research didn't teach you? Positive or negative?

11. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Thank you! I'll check that section out.

I think the biggest thing I learned was to actually look at the clock. In the moment, 5 minutes feels like an hour and I was starting to worry (especially with Chloe) because it seemed like it was taking SOOO long to go through the whole process. Chloe's bubble came out and then she kind of stopped pushing for like 30 minutes. I gave her some calcium because I'd read that it can help a stalled labor. I'd planned on giving her some prior to labor, but we missed the opportunity. I probably jumped the gun though, and she wasn't actually stalled. I just felt like it had been forever and no kid was coming out! To be perfectly honest, Chloe does NOT like me. She's the one that was aggressive with me, and while she hasn't shown any more aggression, I think she just doesn't like me all that much. After I gave her the calcium I left the barn to put the children to bed and her labor picked back up.

MadHouse and MellonFriend like this.
  12. MellonFriend

That's good advice! I'll be sure to remember that when my girls' times come around. Thanks (thumbup). I have a doe who I think doesn't like me, so I understand what that's like. :rolleyes:

YouGoatMe and MadHouse like this.
  13. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    I'm sure I project human feelings on my goats....and I don't know if that's accurate...but it really did seem like after I left she started getting back to business. I'm wondering if the presence of someone she didn't like slowed things down. She's my least people-friendly doe and I think out of all the people in my house she dislikes me the most lol!

MadHouse and MellonFriend like this.
  14. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Could be, or could be a total projection, we just don’t know, hey?
    But I think it was good you left and she got back to work. Good thinking, rather than staring in panic (which might’ve been what I would’ve done...).
    Ally your boys are super cute! Thanks for sharing!

YouGoatMe likes this.
  15. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    In short,
    It’s like pregnancy induced diabetes. It presents with sugars/ ketones spilling into the urine and like in humans can be deadly. You Will see lethargy, swollen legs and ankles and a host of other symptoms. There are a lot of great threads on it here on TGS. For a really good article I reccomend http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/mastitisketosis.html

16. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Oh my word! Your babies are so stinking cute! I just bred my first doe of the year (hopefully) last night, so I've still got a while to wait for babies of my own.
    I actually had a similar experience to what you describe, with my first doe to kid this year. It took her the longest time to pass the placenta (not a dangerously long time, probably just an hour to an hour and a half from the birth of her second kid) and I think she just didn't want to do it in front of me. When I left her alone for a while, I came back to find that she had passed it and all was well. She was not the biggest fan of me being present for her kidding, either. She was doing a fine job by herself, and didn't really need or want a lot of interference. On the other hand, my other doe was incredibly clingy during her whole labor and kidding process, and screamed whenever I left her alone. So I ended up just sitting in there, waiting for her to pass her placenta and settle down.
    I had a boy year, too. But this was the first time breeding for my buck and my does, so I'm going to give it another year before I consider switching anything around.

YouGoatMe, Tanya and MadHouse like this.
  17. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    I love that they all have such distinct personalities and preferences. Maybe this year is just the year of the boys for some herds. Our new boer doe was bred to a buck from her previous home to I'm glad for that. Hopefully all these boys was just a fluke and we'll both be getting some girls in the mix soon!

18. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    So I didn't get an exact birth weight on Nova (Mini Nubian), but it was somewhere between 5 and 6 pounds. Today, at 9 days old he weighs 12 pounds!! My husband and I were both shocked and triple checked just to be sure. I hadn't even thought to look up how fast they should gain! Does this seem on track?

19. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    @Sfgwife ...(she’ll raises great mini Nubians) She can tell you. I suspect though it’s right on track.