The Goat Spot Forum banner

241 - 260 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
She listened! Congratulations! Hope all is well!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Thank you! So far both mama and baby seem great. He's walking and figuring out nursing. Mama has warm molasses water and baby got some vitamins. I'm watching on the monitor and can't wait to get out there as soon as my human baby wakes up!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
My heat lamp bulb just went out and TSC is completely out until after the freezing storm. They were also out of straw (I was going to double up on the bedding layers). The lowest we are projected to get is about 20 degrees (on Monday). It is currently 37 degrees. How much do I need to worry about baby? He was a little hunched and shivering a bit so I rubbed him more dry and made sure he filled his belly. He was less hunched and not shivering after that.
I know a lot of other places get way colder, I'm only worried because of my lack of experience with cold weather. Do I need to hunt down a heat lamp or move mama and baby to the garage? Our barn is completely walled in and not too drafty.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
My heat lamp bulb just went out and TSC is completely out until after the freezing storm. They were also out of straw (I was going to double up on the bedding layers). The lowest we are projected to get is about 20 degrees (on Monday). It is currently 37 degrees. How much do I need to worry about baby? He was a little hunched and shivering a bit so I rubbed him more dry and made sure he filled his belly. He was less hunched and not shivering after that.
I know a lot of other places get way colder, I'm only worried because of my lack of experience with cold weather. Do I need to hunt down a heat lamp or move mama and baby to the garage? Our barn is completely walled in and not too drafty.
Do you have a Home Depot? They carry heat lamps too. We're in the same boat here with lows -1* get some grass hay if you can't get straw and use it for deep bedding with some pdz under it for pee smells. You can also put a dog sweater on baby along with the heat lamp.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Can you make a heating barrel, you can put a regular bulb in the heat lamp holder. The barrel will hold his body heat in. Make the entrance hole small enough that only the kid can go in.
upload_2021-2-12_9-14-40.jpeg

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
Just checked home depot, they are out also. From what I'm hearing from neighbors everywhere is sold out. We live in a rural area where lots of people have lots of animals lol.
I love the barrel idea! The only barrel we have is a metal one, but I might be able to rig something up with that one.
I'm gonna go get creative!

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Metal barrel might be too cold? Can you make a wooden box maybe?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
We have a metal dog crate we can close in with feed bags or plywood. I think that might be our best option currently. If we can't make that work we might just bring them in the feed room (after taking the feed out). It's much warmer in there.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Thank you! We do have plenty of plastic tote bins. I'll add that to the list!
Would you want to avoid using a light with that?
As long as it's high enough so the kid can't get at the light you can add one. Just make sure the doe can't crawl in too.
Another thought is go to petsmart (or similar) in the reptile area they have heat lamps for bearded dragons. Not as strong but in a barrel it would be enough

241 - 260 of 291 Posts