The Goat Spot Forum banner

261 - 280 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
I'm impatiently waiting on my very first kidding!! I have one Nubian FF and two Nigerian Dwarf FFs that will be kidding hopefully in the next couple of weeks. All three of them were bred to Sheldon, my small ND buck. I also have a Boer that is due hopefully in February, assuming her breeding took. She was bred to a standard Boer before I got her.
I went to take pictures but of course they are over on the far end of the pasture and no amount of yelling and shaking feed buckets enticed them over. The neighbors definitely think I'm crazy. I'll include pictures from that last few weeks though!
We've got kidding stalls set up, supply station ready to go....lights, camera....now we just need some action!
View attachment 190639 View attachment 190641 View attachment 190643 View attachment 190645 View attachment 190647
Sheldon is GORGEOUS!! He would make the cutest kids with my Beulah
5A54A730-DF46-44C6-A423-0A8D037D0BEC.png

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
Good news! My sister has a spare heat lamp bulb. She's a 40 minute drive away, but I'll take that over nothing! I've got empty feed bags taped up on the crate really good. Gonna add some straw if I can rake up some from the clean areas. Working on a little sweater from one of my kid's old clothes and hopefully that will have us set for the freeze! Us poor Texans don't know how to function in this cold!!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
Thank you, I think so too! Wish we lived closer! I know we're far apart because of how warm it was at your house in November lol I'm in Michigan
Oh I bet y'all have a lot of cold going on right now! A couple of days ago I believe we broke 80 degrees, but now we're looking at 20's on Monday!! I'm so ready for Spring and warm weather!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
Whoa I don't know where you are in TX but we are in the eastern part. Your lucky though because it's gonna get down to 0F on Monday with snow. Coldest I've ever seen it. It's 27 right now.
I am close to Houston. They just updated the forecast...looks like 16 degrees now. Yikes.
Capture1.JPG

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
I was in Montana once and experienced -18 degrees. I'm not sure what the windchill was....but omg I was chilled down to the bone! That was hard to wrap my brain around.
I feel much more at ease with the temps we have coming now knowing that at least I have the lights to help baby! The older goats are fine without a heat source right? They seem to be normal and are out on the pasture now chomping down like usual. Their fur is puffed up, and the smaller once are hunched up every now and then.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
We decided to name him Uri after the winter storm that followed his birth. It's so cold! He seems to be doing very well. He's nursing frequently and bouncing around here and there. I did notice a little congestion sound yesterday, but today I haven't heard it so I'm guessing it was just a little gunk left over from when he was born. I was worried for a minute because his legs looked swollen, but when I touched them I realized it was all just fluff!
c615839ab69c4ef3895f8476d2fe0b21.jpeg

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
Please say a prayer for Texas! Most of the Houston area is without power. Ours went out at 2am. It is 18 degrees right now. Ice forming on the inside of the windows and the roads are thick ice. The power company said to prepare for no power the rest of the day and unfortunately it's not going to warm up much.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
We are thinking of you! Bundle up, make hot water on the camp stove, find all your sleeping bags!
Stay safe and warm!

261 - 280 of 291 Posts