The Goat Spot Forum banner

101 - 120 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
He is looking GREAT! So is his mom. I keep.my does & new kids in a separate pen from the main herd..at least a week. It gives the new Mom time to learn this little guy is hers. And little guy time to keep up. Please watch the other does around the new guy. They might try to adopt him..or get mean. You are doing really great with them. Keep up.the great job!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
We spent some time together in the pasture today. I was never more than a couple of feet from Cole and Claire. The other goats kind of looked and sniffed, but as soon as they stepped close Claire made it clear she didn't want them approaching. She wanted to be with her herd again, just not TOO close. Cole bounced around and then made a little nest in the pasture grass and napped while mama chowed down on fresh grass. She didn't fight too hard after an hour of feasting and went right back to her maternity stall with Cole. He is getting more and more alert/bouncy/playful and sooo much better at nursing! In fact, we didn't even have to assist more than once or twice and I wasn't even sure he was hungry those times, I'm just making extra sure I see him nurse enough.
Still no big signs from Soleil or Chloe. Soleil's udder did seem bigger and more firm and doesn't jiggle as much when she walks. There was a small bit more discharge...but she's still acting normal. I'm grateful for the break and the chance to baby Cole a little to give him a good start.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Great news!
I actually thought you were putting mom and baby in their separate corral, but good to hear Claire got her wish and it went well!! You were the goat herder!
I had planned on just using the corral, but she just stood at the fence yelling for her friends so I figured I'd suck it up and walk out there with her.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Is it normal for mama goat to drink her baby's urine? She seemed to enjoy it like it was a water fountain lol! So gross and weird to me, but maybe normal for goats? I know bucks drink their pee but I figured I'd ask just in case.
Mamas clean up both pee and poo from their kids...so yes, it's fairly normal.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Is it normal for mama goat to drink her baby's urine? She seemed to enjoy it like it was a water fountain lol! So gross and weird to me, but maybe normal for goats? I know bucks drink their pee but I figured I'd ask just in case.
My doe May did this with her buckling's pee u til he was 4 months old. But she stuck her nose in it too and did the lip curl.

101 - 120 of 291 Posts