Newbie needs answers

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by creaturesall, Oct 26, 2007.

1. creaturesall

creaturesall Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    Thanks CuteKid!

I have read your concerns and feel I must direct your attention to http://www.creaturesall.com/making-a-clean-sweep That should address all your questions :scratch: regarding TV in the goat shed. :leap: (BTW... for all you Americans out there, the CBC I refer to in that blog stands for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.)

2. cute kids

cute kids Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    thanks for the trip down memory lane via your utube site. my speakers are not hooked up yet (only in the goat stall...) but i could hear that 'mr clean gets the dirt in just a minute' as clear as a bell.
    so glad you vacuumed....you will now need to do that about every five minutes to keep up the standard! LOL

3. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    Creaturesall, I use 2" x 4" squares for my hay feeder. They waste less hay but can still eat. I have used it for months now and haven't had a problem with them.

4. creaturesall

creaturesall Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    Thanks Alyssa. That's about what I now have. I also extended their living quarters today, just to give them a little more room to find their own space. Hopefully the bossy one won't be so bossy. It's gonna get cold :blue: tonite so I have locked the girlz in.

Thank you to everyone for your help and advice. It is appreciated.

5. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    You're welcome. I try to help where I can.

6. creaturesall

creaturesall Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    I see that he temperature here has dropped to minus 12F tonight. I do hope all you nice folks who recommended against heating my Shedgra-la were right. This is tooo :shocked: cold, even for December!

7. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Their digestion keeps them warm- lots of food -lots of heat. Although you have to remember I'm a California girl.

8. goat fever

goat fever Guest

Oct 17, 2007
    Creaturesall, sounds and looks like you are doing everything right. Very nice barn for you girls. You are quite the handyman. Your goats are lucky to have you as an owner. The only thing I noticed was your mineral block was outside with no protection from the elements. You might want to put it somewhere where the rain, sleet and snow won't affect it.

9. creaturesall

creaturesall Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    lol.. I tend to think of myself as more hired hand than owner. The girlz weathered the night just fine, as all of you had said they would. They even ventured out this morning. Only for a short while though, and then they actually ran back inside. I'm not expecting them to stick their noses out for any great amount of time today. Mercury has dropped to -15. I'm preparing the latest issue of creaturesall for mailing to subscribers today (Stacey, look for yours in the mail sometime in the next several days) and can't think of a single reason to venture out.

10. cute kids

cute kids Guest

Oct 5, 2007
    it's 'hot' here @ 20+, but mine won't go out 'cause there is 5 " of something white everywhwew! not fair, ezra, my pygora, seems unfazed. he is always brave.

11. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Dang that's cold- although I was born in California and live there now, I spent time in Michigan where it would get to 10 below- that's painfully cold. Everything was so much harder at those temps- driving, chores, etc. Always said it was too cold if you smiled as you passed someone on the street and your teeth froze before you were done.
    I think I will admire you from a distance.

12. creaturesall

creaturesall Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    re: Christmas is comin'

OK.... so here's the plan. Because I am the publisher, I like to share creaturesall magazine with as many folks as would like to have it. So what I am offering is to send a free issue to any Goat Spot member who would like one. All I need is for you to PM me your mailing address and I'll package one up and send 'er off. And not to worry, I will not keep those addresses on file but will delete them immediately after I've sent your issue off, so no one need worry about their info goin' astray.

[​IMG]

creaturesall is not an animal rights nor animal welfare magazine. It is merely a a magazine about animals, written exclusively by our readers, motivated only by their desire to share all things fur, feathers, fins, skins, and scales.
    :happyHolidays::happyHolidays:

13. creaturesall

creaturesall Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    I ask you all to bear with me please. I'm pretty new to this goat thing so I tend to be a little paranoid. How exactly can one tell moldy hay from the good stuff? When I purchased the hay I have, I quizzed the grower re: mold issues and was assured the hay was A-100. That said, I'm not sure what I would look for in the way of determining if mold is present. Both the grower and I store the hay indoors. Is that any kind of guarantee? Moldy bread, I can recognize. Moldy hay.. not so much.

14. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    You can smell moldy hay. I 'sniff' each new bale/flake before I give it to the goats (call me paranoid(sp?) I am extremely careful about mold. Also if your hay is really dusty when you pull the flakes apart, that is a type of mold.

Mold is quite easy to identify, so you don't need to worry too much. Just check by the 'sniff' test =P

Hope that helps!

15. creaturesall

creaturesall Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    It does... THANKS!! This is similar to the test I use when choosing my wardrobe every morning :sorry: (hard to believe I'm married, isn't it?)

16. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Be wary of a bale that is heavier than normal or a spot that wants to stick together more than normal- those are signs that it was baled wet and mold is likely. Also look for white-ish fuzz in the hay or clouds of dust that come up when you seperate the flakes.
    I was blessed (more or less) with allergies to mold- one sniff and I know instantly if it's moldy or not even if it looks bad or good.
    Took me years to get it though my head that one iffy flake or bale is cheaper to throw out than one vet call. When in doubt- throw it out!

17. creaturesall

creaturesall Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    I have a question about feed in general. I am so new to this I'm not sure what is the smart thing to do. I purchased my 3 'fainters' from a breeder some distance away last October. When I emailed her re: feeding preferences, this was her reply:

"This breed of goat is a hardy breed. I know of many folks in Canada and the states who feed/do different things. All breeders are different and have different ways of doing things. Around here – we only feed hay in the winter – pasture when available – cobalt salt is available all year round as well as the Coop Selenium/Salt I gave you the label for. We don’t feed any extra’s here. But – you will find others do – just a preference here for us as we try to raise them to be as hardy as they can be, like myotonics should be."

Since getting the 3 ladies, I gave them free access to pasture when it was still available, and now have them on a 50/50 Alfalfa/Brome mix exclusively. As these three are pets only, I'd appreciate any feedback concerning this breeders recommendations outlined above.

18. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I feed alfalfa hay (becasue both of my girls are preggo hopefully) and a litlle bit of alfalfa pellets mixed with whole oats - the reason for the whole oats is that it allows me to mix in their mineral mix and know they are getting the minerals they need. When it was loose they mostly did not take any.
    So I think her feeding is great- the only thing I might add is access to browse if it is available.
    The colbalt issue is one I don't know anything about- but of course different places need different mineral supplement.
    The reason for the whole oats/mineral thing is that I buy a mineral mix from the vet that was formulated for our area and has made a great difference in the horses health. It is heavy in selenium.

19. creaturesall

creaturesall Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
    One of my 3 ladies (1.75 yrs old) woke this morning and isn't eating. That is very unusual for her as she is normally the most aggressive eater of the 3. Secondly, I see she is coughing a little, so much so she is spitting her cud out a bit. Third, maybe it's paranoia, but I seem to detect a small amount of shivering . Also, I can visibly see her stomach(s) rumbling, through her hide. It was very cold here last nite and remains so this morning (-5 F). The other 2 seem their normal selves. Any suggestions what my next move should be?

20. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    bob I responded to your pm but I will add her to take her temp and the temp of the others as well (to give you a reference and to keep track if they do spike a fever or get to chilled)

normal range is 101-104 but because of the extreme cold anything above at least 103 would be a fever for her especialy if the others are in the range of 101-102