The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am Jennifer from central MN. My husband, girls and I are getting into raising dairy goats. Two Nubain/ Alpine and Nubian/ Lamancha doelings about 21/2 months and a pure bred Alpine doe yearling we will have bred this fall. We get them the end of the month. We are putting up fencing now and wondering about pasture areas. We live on a lot of land, however my husband runs an airsoft field on most of it. The five acres that is around the house area is where we want to have the goats. The two areas have mixed grasses (not sure of the type?) and brush areas with oaks, pines and some mixed trees such as birch. On area we will have just has the grasses and weeds. I am trying to make sure about what is poisonous. We are starting off with just a 1/2 acre for now. I have a question as to what I should about the creeping Charlie/ground Ivy. I did post in another area, but thought I should so it here. I have read mixed information. We have a lot of it through out the yard area an some in the smaller field area. I just read on here that the goats won't touch it because it is bitter. What about the young ones? Should I be worried? And the oak trees? there is one in the loafing/pen area in the corner. I figured we would rake and get up a lot of leaves and acorns, but....?
Next question, we have a free 8x10 building coming from my brother, will this be enough space to start out with? I will have an enclosed dog kennel area for them to be penned up in when we are gone during the day and a door that will go from the building into the kennel so it can be used in the winter too. I am worried about coyotes around here, so we thought the enclosed kennel with hot wire and the same with our fencing. (chain linked-free and older cattle fencing that is 5ft) the penned area has some access to a very small brose area too.
Thanks for any answers or advice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We will be starting out with three. I had wanted the doe that was milking (a Lamancha), but she would not let anyone near her when we went to look at her, we were there to see how she did milking since I would be new to that too and for her owner to show us. She milked five minutes after we left! lol. I still wanted to get her. MY HUSBAND, not so much! he wouldn't have any patience with her and that would be a problem since we are doing this together! (It took me a long time to convince him we could do this) We will get the an alpine doe pure bred and to mixed Nubians does that are young just weaned (11 wks). Any advice on the above with the ground ivy and oaks or the pasture?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts