The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 1st two MiniNubian doelings, 8 & 10 weeks. They're doing well! They have a 10'x30' pen and a 6'x6' shed. Since I got them 2 weeks ago, I've locked them in the shed every night. They're getting more relaxed with their new home. We're in the country, and there have been coyotes in the neighborhood. My question is should I continue to lock them in at night or not? How important is this?

Also, they're almost due for next round of CDT shots. Both of them have a little knot behind the front leg from previous shots. I'm going to try giving the shots (1st time for that too). Is there a way to prevent that knot when giving shots, or is it inevitable?

·
2,203 Posts
With the shots, the secret is to put it somewhere that isn't going to show if using show animals. We like the brisket, under the shoulder, or between the front legs. Give SLOWLY, and rub like crazy when you're done. Break it up. Kneed the dough. Whatever you'd like to call it.

How bad of a predatory system do you have where you're located? Are you worried about them wondering away or getting taken/eaten? Kind of depends on your own discretion. I let mine go in/out 24/7. Normally they all come inside all on their own anyway as the sun sets.

Once daylight again start meandering around their pasture. Doing goaty things.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip on the shots.

Predators - occasionally hear coyotes in the canyon. They've never come into our large fenced area around the house, and the goats have a pen inside of that. I have had a raccoon get a chicken but only 2x in 10 years. Also I put a motion sensor light by their pen. So, I probably don't have to close them in at night, just had the "chicken in the coop at night" mentality.

·
Pygmy Guru, Nubian Newbie
159 Posts
Personally, I would. You never know if a coyote will suddenly spot your goats and think of them as a meal. We lock up our chickens because racoons love them, but their not much of a predator for goats(with the exception of kids). We have seen a bobcat, though, so we lock them up at night. You should consider things like size, strength, and especially horns. Personally, I see horns as a great defensive weapon for any goat. If I were you I would lock up my goats. If you do choose to lock up your goats, they will get used to that routine.

·
Pygmy Guru, Nubian Newbie
159 Posts
Thanks, laurelsh. Hope you have fun raising your new kids! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts