The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Milking???
We are about to purchase some Nigerian Dwarf kids. We will purchase a mix of does and wethers. We do not plan to breed them, but have them as pets and to help control our yaupon. Here is my totally newbie, probably ridiculous question: if the does are never pregnant, will they ever need to be milked???

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Welcome to TGS, no question is ridiculous except the unasked one. Congratulations on your new kids. To answer your question,
No, they need to be bred to develop an udder and produce milk just like a human. Wethers are unable to impregnate does if it was done correctly. However it is a common thing to watch goats mount each other in play and when they're working out their pecking order in the herd.
I hope that helps.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
Not to worry and if you have any other questions or just want to share this is a great place for it. BTW, we love pictures so please feel free to post pics of your new herd :) I have Nigerian Dwarfs too and you'll be shocked at how fast they steal your heart and by how smart they are.

·
8,197 Posts
I'm sure you have done research on what plants goats should not eat, but a couple really bad ones are Rhodendrons, Azalias and yew.

You will certainly be entertained by your new little buddies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts