Newbie question-reduction in milk quantity- why?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by baringapark, Mar 20, 2010.

1. baringapark

baringapark New Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Hi All

It is possible this has been asked previously, but I cannot find what I am looking for here after a bit of searching - so apologies!

I have had my doe now for 2 weeks and we have been getting 2 litres of milk, or just under, every afternoon. Today is had dropped to 1.5L. Is this normal, or what have I done wrong?

thanks

Elizabeth

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well goats don't stay at the same amount all their life. They do drop off after a couple weeks.

was their any changes in your routine, feed or water consumption?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Stacey.... feed intake...... :wink:

sometimes increasing grain and giving good quality hay will increase milk production.....

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    You said that you have had her for 2 weeks? When did she freshen?

Also, are you milking just once a day?

The longer a doe is in milk, it's natural for them to decrease production, is she fed her daily grain ration while being milked or does she get it twice a day? Sometimes just a bit of an off day will cause a drop as well as the doe coming into heat, you may notice a slight decrease then as well.

5. baringapark

baringapark New Member

Mar 19, 2010
    OK, thanks for your replies. Nothing has changed in our routine or feeding. I am milking only once a day, when she has her grain ration. I do not know when she last kidded; I believe it has been some time. Not much is known about her at all really :? :oops:

I guess I should only worry if the quantity continues to go down; we shall wait and see if this is just a one off!

I really appreciate you experienced goat people taking the time to help this complete beginner - thankyou so much!

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Most goats will have a drop in their production after the first 3 months after they freshen but will maintain production for an additional 6 months, giving them a lactation period of 9-10 months. I'm not sure of how your Seasons are there...is it the same as it is in the US? Fall from late August to mid November... Cold/winter from late November to end of February... Spring from March to May? Most Dairy breeds will come into heat in the early fall thru to late January kidding in the spring and tend to dry off naturally at breeding time. If your doe has been in milk since her last possible kidding, she may be wanting to dry off for breeding, depending on how your seasons run.

Wait and see , if her production comes back up then she's likely just having an off time, if it doesn't come back, try a slight increase in her grain.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Chances are if you are just milking once a day she is going to drop off quickly. TO increase production milk twice a day

8. baringapark

baringapark New Member

Mar 19, 2010
    When she first came I was milking 1.5L and then it went up to 2L and now it is 1.5L again :? She seems happy enough LOL! It is the left side of her udder that seems to have dropped off. I am going to try and post pics of her udder before and after milking. Be warned she has quite a weird looking udder! Luckily we love her despite this :wink:

before milking
    [​IMG]

after milking
    [​IMG]

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well at least she milks down all the way.

as was stated by Liz - they will gradually go up in production and stay there for a bit and then drop off in production and level off for a a little while and then taper off as she dries up.

How long have you had her and how long was she giving you the 2liters?