Newbie question

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by QotL, May 28, 2008.

1. QotL

QotL New Member

May 27, 2008
    Maine
    I apologize if this is the wrong forum, and please feel free to move it if necessary.

We picked up our first goat on Sunday. The lady I purchased her from said she was a year old. Truth be told, this woman just has them to have them (as in.. she doesn't spend any time with them and most of them were very wild). She had two bucks running with the herd. I realize the season is all off, but is there any chance my girl could be pregnant? She doesn't look like she is (actually I think she looks too thin), but I confess to being a complete Newbie with goats. Is it normal to run the bucks with the does when it isn't officially 'breeding season'? I know she had him seperated from them last August.. but not sure when he and the other buck were put into the herd.

My girl is an Alpine/something if that helps.

Part of the reason I ask is that she has hollows on either side, shortly before her 'hips' that in a dog or cat would make me think preg and carrying low. Her tummy is small though, and she is overall a very small girl (looks more like a deer than a goat). I don't think she's ever given birth. I did feel her udder and can feel something under her teats (similar to a cat half way through gestation), but it's nothing big or obvious.

Ok.. now that you are all laughing at how little I know :ROFL: what are your thoughts?

Thanks. :)
    Meghan

2. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I think you already know a good deal about them :greengrin: I personally would never run my bucks with my does, but that is just me. I am not sure whether they could still breed now or not..... as to your doe, feel right infront of where her udder would be, a little toward her right side. Just be patient and feel there for awhile and see if you can feel any movement of kids.

Welcome to The Goat Spot!!

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Wow - for a "newbie" you sure are doing WONDERFUL!!!! :leap: :leap: :leap:

There is DEFINATELY the possibility of being pregnant when ever a buck runs with does. I didn't have a choice at one time and always had my buck with my does (everyone was already preggers)- even when they surprised me with a kid - but now I keep them seperated at all times. Makes for better controlled breeding and also some bucks can get very mean towards the ladies and kids.

I am not sure if there is a vet in your area that does ultrasounds, but that is one option. Another is is that there is a link on my website to where you can draw the blood and send it to the lab for cheap!!!

Large dairy does do tend to look "skinnier" then the mini dairy, to me at least. I have 2 boer/saanen crosses and they always look so skinny to me - but they are not.

Do as Muddy Creek said and see if you can feel movement and also watch her udder. If she is preggers it will start growing!

Do you have another goatie to keep her company? Oh and we LOVE pics!!!!

Welcome!! :wave:

4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    :leap: Oh a newbie, and she only has one goat? Well, wait till Chelsey hears that! :ROFL: Welcome to TGS. Are you hopeing your girl is pregnant? I would also assume she's PG, so you should probably just treat her as if she is...better safe then sorry. There are several threads you should read about pregnant goats, check out the old ones too. And just so you are ready for anything, read the sad ones. I forced myself to in the beginning. Learned alot and hope to never need the info. I always add: check out http://www.fiascofarm.com loads of info on one site. Then you can come here and these folks will answer all your questions.

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hello and WELCOME!! Sounds like your lil' girl is already in better hands! Now if she's gentle enough, you can feel just in front of her udder...put your palm flat on her belly, if you feel a firm roundness there then she is likely 2-3 months along, but just as was mentioned sometimes the dairy breeds don't breed this late into the year most breed early fall thru late winter. Di mentioned a very good website, I use it for info I can't find here...it helps along. Congrats on getting your doe now I think I'd be looking for another doe or wether to keep he company.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the "hollowing" doesnt' always mean pregnancy. Actually when pregnant you cant see those hollows as much. So with goats it is basically opposite.

Dairy breeds are naturally hollow in that area before their hips. But you dont' want it to hollow that they look skinny. She probably needs a little weight put on her.

How much grain are you feeding her? and how much hay? Hay should be her main diet but if pregnant or thin some grain will do her a world of good. No more then 4 cups twice a day though I recommend less until she is milking.

Yes she could be pregnant but the chances are slim beings that it is not breeding season.

THis may sound strange to you but if you can get a good picture of her rear - anus and vulva" not blurry and with tail up. I probably can tell you if she is pregnant or not. we call this the "pooch test" and I have found it to be 90% accurate :D

7. QotL

QotL New Member

May 27, 2008
    Maine
    I am hoping she is :) because if she kids we'll keep at least one (and dh won't have a say :ROFL: )

Right now I'm only giving her 1/2 cup in the morning, 1/2 cup in the evening (according to the Fiasco Farm website). We do plan to increase it, but I was nervous about giving her more right now, since I think she was on horse pellets thrown on the ground before I got her (for which she competed with 10 other goats). If you guys think she'd be ok, though, I can certainly up that.

She has hay free choice, I pretty much fill her basket up whenever it looks low. She is eating it, although doesn't seem to be eating as much as I thought she would. She also has browse.. so maybe that's what she's eating more of. I do think she's underweight. She doesn't have that semi 'pregnant' look I'm used to seeing in goats.. more like a little belly. I can't see her ribs though :? and she does seem to have some fat over her bones.

I'll try to get a pic of her bum lol! I did read on here that you guys do the pooch test. Study the pics though I might, I couldn't figure out what you were looking on. Ds (6) got to the point that he was asking if I was looking at goat butts again :ROFL:

Meghan

8. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Oh, funny, when I was taking pics of my goats, my hubby said "people are going to get the wrong idea about what we are doing here"! :slapfloor: You know, goats are herd animals and you really need more then one. Notice I said "need", as opposed to "want"...ie the goat needs another goat friend...we want 10 goats...

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if the anus is tucked nicely under the tail and her vulva is smooth she is open. If the anus has dropped down some and there are wrinkles around the vulva she is pregnant.

Yes I agree Di. If she was with a herd she very likely is lonely without a goat buddy. Humans can't replace that goat bond. They need eachother. If she is pregnant - very SLIM chance you will have to wait 5 months before a kid arrives as she has no udder to assume she is and will kid soon.

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I was thinking - the other thing that you may want to take a look at is the inside of her eyelids and gums. She could also be a bit wormy. If they are not nicely pink - I would take a fecal sample into the vet and have them do a "fecal float" and then treat accordingly.

Can't wait to see pics!

PS you think it is bad taking "cha cha" pics?? Here is one for you - I took some pics last winter on my hubby's camera because I didn't have one at the time - he took them to our business to upload them off of the camera for me and burn them to disk. What he DIDN'T realize was that when he uploaded them they also went into the screen saver picture file. So he was in the office talking to a customer and a goat "cha cha" came up on the screen!!! :ROFL: :shocked: :ROFL: :shocked: Now I wish I would have had a picture of HIS face!