The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
goat Mamma
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so this might sound dumb to some of you who have been around goats for a long time but this is my first venture with the Nigerians...since they are year round breeders, does that mean the buck is always in rut and therefore always smelly?
I have two mini Nubian does that keep coming into heat even though they have been with a proven Nigerian Dwarf buck for several months now. I am leaving them in together because these girls just won't breed even though I was told by the previous owner that one of them has freshened several times. I have seen the ND buck curling his lips and grunting and trying, but it doesn't seem to be working.I even got a step out there in case there was a height difference problem. he and my nubian buckling play more than he seems interested in the girls.I've got them all housed together.another question I had is, will the Nubian be able to breed the other girls even though he is not in rut because he has been trying but I didn't think he was old enough to be successful. size wise he is actually taller and bigger than the Nigerian but I didn't think he was able to breed out of season? I'm so confused but it seems to me that between the two boys those girls got to be pregnant by now? is it possible to see signs of heat even in a pregnant doe?

ForumRunner_20130621_135529.jpg

ForumRunner_20130621_135855.jpg

Attachments

·
962 Posts
As for your first question. Despite being year- round breeders my bucks only smell all through the fall and late summer. Nothing in the winter, spring or early summer. I guess you could say their sex drive is lowered during that time period even though they can still breed.

·
I'm watching you
22,150 Posts
As to your second. My Alpine buck breeds year round, in fact, he's out on lease right now and has been breeding does since last month. One of my Nubian/Alpine does also breeds year round, some Nubian does do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts