newbie start up questions

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by itstrist, Feb 13, 2014.

1. itstrist

itstrist New Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Hi, let me introduce myself. I'm 16 years old, I plan on getting 2 Pygmy goats and I would like to show them in my local fair with 4H. I've been on and off thinking a while about what to get. I'm still stuck between goats and ducks. I really wanna get the goats but I'm somewhat on a budget and don't know if
    I can afford the housing they need.

I live in North East Ohio. Lorain county to be exact. We have pretty cold winters. ( this winter down to the negative teens including wind chill) and in the summer I'm the 90's at the hottest.

If I choose to get goats, I was planning on buying a 10x10x6 dog kennel and covering it with tarps, putting shavings down in there and maybe a dog house or two that would be used as the shelter or home for the goats. then I plan on buying some combination panels and T posts and building a larger outside pen for the goats to munch on the grass and play. this would be a permanent residence for the goats. I do plan on feeding them regular food
    and minerals so grass won't be there only food. so I was wondering if this
    is enough to keep them warm in the winter? also how big do you suggest the outside run area be?

then for my final questions about how much should I expect for start of
    costs? including the goats, kennel, pen, food and water buckets and all the other necessities. thanks so much.

2. kyndal_98

kyndal_98 New Member

Feb 8, 2014
    I own boers and a dog kennel defiantly won't be warm enough in the winter. Do you have a barn? Can you make pens?

3. Mikesell04

Mikesell04 New Member

Jan 26, 2014
    Ya I know ppl in our area who only have dog houses for shelter.. But I feel bad for them on those cold cold winter nights.. It would be best if you could get a small shed or something you could close them up in at night.. It needs to be draft free.. In my opinion..
    Not sure on cost on everything??
    But I'll guesstimate..
    Kennel-$200
    Shelter$100-$200 or more
    Goats- mine were cheap $50 a piece but the are not registered.. They can be pricie..
    Feed for 2-$60 or less a month

TheRockinFunFarm

4. itstrist

itstrist New Member

Feb 13, 2014
    I really don't think it's possible to build any type of
    she's for them. possibly buy one online maybe that's pre fab or take them into the garage on super cold nights??

5. Darlaj

Darlaj New Member

Dec 10, 2013
    What about a hoop house with straw bales as walls in winter would that be warm enough I wonder? Or pallet
    Better than kennel and far cheaper

6. itstrist

itstrist New Member

Feb 13, 2014
    I saw those pallet shelters. could I just buy a really large wooden outdoor dog kennel?? maybe one that's insulated and I could cover it at night?

Sent from my iPhone using Goat Forum

7. itstrist

itstrist New Member

Feb 13, 2014
    ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1392355871.713871.jpg like something like this?? the dimensions are
    53.2" H x 47.25" W x 47.25" L, 68 lbs. not huge but just enough for them to be locked inside this inside the dog kennel which would also be covered with tarp and lots of straw??

8. Darlaj

Darlaj New Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Ok I can not seem to get link right but search hoop house on this site it would work great for u I think and join 4h now the leaders and members can help u a great deal .... There is probably someone who would let u use one of there does for show so u can get the feel of it ....
    These animals are a lot of work and potentially a lot of money ie health care feed vet bill etc... Just food for thought. And u need at least 2 . Goats are a lot more delicate than most people realize. But are awsome pets, friends, confidants, and livestock! Good luck and do your research!

9. itstrist

itstrist New Member

Feb 13, 2014
    there is a small farm down the street from me. I know I would not have any problems taking care of them. I am 16 & I have 2 cats, a hedgehog, 3 Great Danes and 2 parrots I take care of mainly on my own. the only thing I'm worried about is making sure I have enough room for them and to keep them warm enough in the winter. by any chance would you have any recommendations on whether to get Pygmy or Norwegian dwarfs??

10. Darlaj

Darlaj New Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Nigerian dwarf:)

11. itstrist

itstrist New Member

Feb 13, 2014
    I decided I will buy a shelter like this and like it with straw or shavings. I'll shut them up in it at night and when it gets cold in the winter time. I'm just a tad worried about ventillation but I will figure something out. ImageUploadedByGoat Forum1392361203.875536.jpg

12. OGYC_Laura

OGYC_Laura New Member

Taking them to the fair will expose them to disease and stress. You need some basic meds on hand before you bring your new goats home. Most of the meds you will need are not overly expensive but it will add up pretty quick.
    Goats have two codes: 1) Never deliver a baby when it is convenient 2) get sick only when the vet is closed and TSC is closed
    I would not go with out
    Fortified Vit B
    CD Antitoxin
    molasses or red cell
    pepto bismol
    thermometer
    syringes and needles
    LA 200
    Banamine
    I am sure there is more but those are my go to during this time of year with kidding going on

13. mjs500doo

mjs500doo Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Boyd, Wisconsin
    Long term goats are more expensive than ducks. That shed will work for shelter, but you'll need to be able to cover at least half of that opening for the winter when they're allowed "free-time" to go in/out as they choose. Hay gets expensive, even for a pair of goats, especially if you're on a budget. I really strongly urge you to sit down and do some financing with numbers in front of you.

Goats:
    Hay (increase intake in winter)
    Bedding (straw/shavings)
    Fencing
    Special feed
    Medications (wormers, antitoxin, pneumonia are all quite pricey in the case you need them, can you get them??)
    Vet bills
    Breedings
    Registration (required for many shows)
    Animal cost + proper testing
    Shelter
    Gas if traveling to do cares
    Extra supplies (combs, brushes, feeder, pails, milk stand, hoses, clippers, hoof trimmers, blankets for dire cold, kidding supplies if needed, everything you need to go with them)
    Electricity if heating

Ducks:
    Shelter
    Fencing
    Bedding for seasonal nests, floor covering in winter
    Pool for summer
    Feed
    Grit
    Animal cost
    Electricity if heating

Explore your options and be thorough. Know what you're buying. Don't buy the first thing that pops up. The worst feeling is to have a sick animal with no money to help heal them. Pay for testing (CAE, Johne's even if Wethers). Decide if you will be making profit off your animals or if they are simply a hobby/friend.

14. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

The thin metal shed may not work. I had one and used it as an emergency shelter one really bad year. The goats punched through the back and one of the boys cut his leg almost clear off on the metal. He had to be put down...

ONLY get it if there is a way to line it with plywood...

15. itstrist

itstrist New Member

Feb 13, 2014
    I plan on getting two at first just for
    hobby/friends and see how well I do with them and if I do good then eventually sign them up for 4h. I know it might be very expensive in the beginning but I'm willing to spend around $1000 for everything I need to do to get them started.

16. Mikesell04

Mikesell04 New Member

Jan 26, 2014

You should be able to get the goats and get then all set up easily with $1000.. Then after that you can figure $75-$100 a month.. Depending on their health, and weather.. Because they do munch down some hay in the winter.. But mine have enough greens in summer I hardly even but hay.. And two pygmy will get 2cups grain daily, and loose minerals.. Both are cheap.. Good luck, you will have fun with the goats!! I love mine.

TheRockinFunFarm

17. hallsthirdacrefarm

hallsthirdacrefarm New Member

Mar 30, 2011
    We use PLASTIC sheds like that one...the plastic snap together ones are naturally somewhat insulated as their walls have an air layer in between. The floors are easy to clean. Our nigerians have been in several of these for 4 years now with no problems. we use t posts (one inside the door and one outside) to "lock the door about 10" open all the time and can close off the top half of the opening with pine boughs over a tarp when its really cold. I LOVE my plastic sheds. I find them on Craigslist every now and then used for under $200...there was one in Richmond indiana, near cincinnati not too long ago... Calf huts may be another option...but YOU can stand inside the plastic shed... We are in Indiana...similar climate.

Dogloos or houses INSIDE the shed then give them even warmer snuggly huts and double as climbers and loungers...

18. itstrist

itstrist New Member

Feb 13, 2014
    do you know the brand of your plastic shed? I think I have an idea
    of what you're talking about but I would like to do an internet search

19. hallsthirdacrefarm

Mar 30, 2011
    One was outback innovatons...one they dont make anymore. I just search craigslist for resim shed...plastic shed...outdoor storage...rubbermaid....and suncast until i find one...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Goat Forum mobile app

20. hallsthirdacrefarm

Mar 30, 2011
    Resin that is

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Goat Forum mobile app