The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, and thank you for such an incredible resource! I have learned so much already from reading hundreds (thousands?) of posts already. I’d appreciate clarification on copper bolusing. I just purchased 4 NGD doelings, 8-10 weeks old, 12-16 pounds. I’m feeding purina goat chow, manno pro goat loose minerals and baking soda (both free choice), alfalfa hay plus lots of grazing in field, and few tablespoons daily of rolled oats or BOSS. At what age should I start copper bolus, and what dose? I’ve seen a wide frequency of dosing frequencies discussed as well, so advice on why a certain frequency is used over another would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I'm not sure on the boluses, but you need to cut out the baking soda. I taken't remember why or find an article about why hopefully someone else will chime in and refresh by brain.

·
8,066 Posts
Don't feed free choice baking soda, use it when needed for bloating.
Goats make their own type of baking soda (sodium bicarb) in their stomach. If you offer free choice, the body will stop making their own bicarbonate.

If you are feeding a good loose mineral, you may not need to do any copper bolusing. If the hair is starting to get coarse, the tail hairs start splitting and looking like a fish tail, black goats get reddish looking etc. those are signs a goat may be copper deficient. The dosage I use is 1 gram of copper rods per 22# of body weight. That works well for my full size dairy goats. As time goes by, you will get a better idea of what they need. Each area is different. Some people have to copper frequently, some never do.

If you have hard well water, the iron will bind with the copper in the minerals and that is why additional copper may be needed.

One suggestion, on the black oil sunflower seeds. Only give a tiny amount. Too much and the oil in the seeds coats the intestinal tract and can prevent nutrients from being absorbed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts