The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my pygmies had twins 8 almost 9 weeks ago and then her sister had a single this past Friday night. Right now we have each of the "families" in their own pens and the rest of the goats have the remaining area as well as the barn. The "maternity" pens each have a house in them with straw and the newest baby has a heat lamp in it because our nights are still in the mid to high 30's. My question is when is it safe to have the babies turned out with the rest of the herd? I have a rescue female who is mean and chased and butted the babies when I tried to let them out a couple of weeks ago. This is my first experience so not sure what to do.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Try putting the twins and mom with herd and put mean rescue in isolation for a couple of weeks. The rescue goat may be bottom goat and asserting dominance over babies. Mom usually defends their young, did that happen?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try putting the twins and mom with herd and put mean rescue in isolation for a couple of weeks. The rescue goat may be bottom goat and asserting dominance over babies. Mom usually defends their young, did that happen?
Hard to say what mama did really. We've had the rescue goat for probably 8 years and she was the youngest till we bought these 2 sisters who are the ones having the babies. Last August they each had babies but they were born early, didn't have any hair on them that I could see and were lying dead on the ground when I came out in the morning. It was very depressing and I told my husband if it happened again we were going to have the male fixed. We just have a small home set-up so it's not real easy to do too much in the way of separating. We put up fence panels after the first babies were born to create a maternity pen and then used the remaining panel we had to make a 2nd pen and we built a small house that is well insulated for the 2nd pen. It's been a learning experience to say the least. Now we're faced with how to keep the one intact male separated so he doesn't impregnate his daughters. We're thinking we should trade him with another goat farm for a different male.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I think you need better advice than mine. I can see your difficulties, just not the way out.
Most of the others that I have read about usually keep kids in maternity area for a week or two. Some don't even seperate. We don't breed.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
The mean one needs to be separated from the babies.
She will hurt or kill one if she is really aggressive.

I usually, weather permitting, allow the wee ones out and about at 3 days old, only if strong on their feet, have bonded and nursing well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts