The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
43C2DAA0-8522-4EB0-A340-A4A12FA7B258.jpeg F955D717-41F5-46DA-8184-D99CDA0EE9B4.jpeg Hi guys! Newbie to the forum as well as newbie to 3 kids! Actually, my mother is the newbie to the kids. She rescued some ducks a few years back and it has progressed into a full 'farm rescue.' She has 6 goats whom she loves dearly and her recent rescue, Little Debbie, was pregnant when she got her and gave birth to 3 kids yesterday. Little Debbie did great and is a wonderful mother, our only concern is one of the little guys has a noticeable droop to the right side of his face. It appears to affect the entire right side of his face, ear, eye and his tongue permanently hangs out of his mouth. He was the last born. He is nursing and is active, but according to my mother, dosent seem as active as the other 2. Now, she could be a bit over worried but he definitely has a noticeable, I would say 'paralysis' to his face. I was watching him earlier and when he bleats, the dropping side of his mouth dosent open. I have tried google to no avail so I decided to reach out to you guys! The closest vet that treats farm animals is over an hour away but we will absolutely call him if need be! Thanks you guys! Any info or advice is appreciated!

Here are some photos taken shortly after birth. They have since relocated to a nice cozy spot inside the barn, away from their very curious and nosy neighbors!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Bumping for more attention...

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
WELCOME! :)

I would suspect some kind of damage due to lack of oxygen during some part of the delivery work. As long as he sucks and thrives, I would not worry, but love him for the lovely thing he doubtlessly is! :inlove:

·
8,163 Posts
Some selenium may help. (Bo-Se). 1/2 cc sub q for a full size goat, 1/4 cc for a miniature breed. Also give a vitamin E gel cap squirted into the mouth. Since the doe was a rescue, you have no idea what her preg. was like, did they give selenium? Good nutrition, etc.

Hopefully the kid gets better. Have you checked for a cleft palate? (Hole in the roof of the mouth)

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
I would get down on the floor with a flashlight to be super sure that he is getting colostrum when he latches onto the teat. He may try vigorously but without tongue control I doubt he gets much. The tongue is critical to the latch. Your mother's observation that is less active than the others is a good indication the nursing isn't sufficient! He will need supplemental feeding (probably with a syringe or stomach tube since latching to a bottle won't go well either. In fact I wouldn't use a bottle because the fast flow without tongue control will almost certainly lead to aspiration.)

I would give selenium and B-Complex and check for cleft palate as mentioned above.

If it's nerve damage, he will probably will regain control but it will take weeks, if it was oxygen deprivation he likely wont improve.

Is there any chance he was breech or just in the birth canal a long time?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I would call a vet, he likely needs tube feeding, which they can show you how to do.

Reactions: GoofyGoat

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have no clue as I am new too, but I just wanted to welcome you here! And, to tell you that these people are sooo helpful and wonderful to interact with for learning about raising goats! I wish you great luck with all the new kids, especially this little precious one! bTW, I too, rescue many animals, and now my farm has over 100 animals and keeps growing! It’s such a Blessing!

·
Registered
349 Posts
You
:nod::up:
are very right..until the goats and pig, it was always ducks, chickens, rabbits. There's always a period where you keep them completely separate, test for worms, etc. then integrating to the flock with separate pens built on to the existing pens. But then we got the goats and pot belly pigs, it was sooo new! There is actually a man in our area looking to downsize his goats and practically giving them away. I'm considering going to "look" at them...but, I do already have enough work. Just hard to pass up $50 Boer does. One year old...

·
Registered
349 Posts
View attachment 166107 View attachment 166109 Hi guys! Newbie to the forum as well as newbie to 3 kids! Actually, my mother is the newbie to the kids. She rescued some ducks a few years back and it has progressed into a full 'farm rescue.' She has 6 goats whom she loves dearly and her recent rescue, Little Debbie, was pregnant when she got her and gave birth to 3 kids yesterday. Little Debbie did great and is a wonderful mother, our only concern is one of the little guys has a noticeable droop to the right side of his face. It appears to affect the entire right side of his face, ear, eye and his tongue permanently hangs out of his mouth. He was the last born. He is nursing and is active, but according to my mother, dosent seem as active as the other 2. Now, she could be a bit over worried but he definitely has a noticeable, I would say 'paralysis' to his face. I was watching him earlier and when he bleats, the dropping side of his mouth dosent open. I have tried google to no avail so I decided to reach out to you guys! The closest vet that treats farm animals is over an hour away but we will absolutely call him if need be! Thanks you guys! Any info or advice is appreciated!

Here are some photos taken shortly after birth. They have since relocated to a nice cozy spot inside the barn, away from their very curious and nosy neighbors!
How's the little one doing?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts