Newbie with another question..

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by milk and honey, Oct 31, 2010.

1. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    What is the protocol that some of you use for kidding and then milking mom? I was planning to keep the kids with mom for 2 weeks and then
    separate at night and milk in the a.m. , leaving kids with mom for the day.
    BUT... What do you all do? My whole point of getting my 2 girls is to milk them. These are Nigerian Dwarf does bred for dairy character. (at least that is what I believe) As a newcomer, I really didn't know what I was looking for a couple of months ago... I'm learning!
    Thanks for any advice
    Heidi

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I normally separate at night around 3 weeks and milk in the a.m., strip moms out before bedtime at nite.

3. This is a good question as I plan on milking this year too(will be my first). But I could swear I was told it's best to milk 2x a day. I think I may have missed something????

4. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Someone who owns Nigerians told me they start night separation at 1 week, milking only in the morning until weaning.
    You probably know this, but just in case...Nigerian bucklings have been known to be fertile at 7 weeks (though I don't know how common it is) so you'll probably want to wean them completely before then.

5. Saanens N Alpines

Saanens N Alpines New Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Southern MI
    I do just what you are planning to do, and it works out nicely. If we need to go away I don't have to worry about having someone milk, I just leave the kids with mom day and night while we are away. Otherwise I just keep them in a pen right next to mom and milk her in the morning and then put them out to pasture together for the day.

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I do milk 2x a day AFTER the kids leave, when I separate at 3 weeks, I milk at 4 30 in the am and the kids "milk" mom from 5am to around 8-9pm

7. That's what I missed!! Thanks Liz

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    No problem! This past March when Binkey delivered a stillborn I was milking her 3x a day to keep her production up....then after 3 weeks, I went to 2x a day and it worked great too because she kept up the 2 quarts a day for 4 months til I had to go to once a day because of work issues.