The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need someone to hold my hand.
I have 2 pygmy goats, Star and Sunny.

I only had them for 4 months. I am also new to goats and I am so nervous right now. Sunny is due anytime. This will be her first.

Star , my other pygmy was obviously pregnant when I bought her. I didn't know this. She had triplets a few weeks before I got her. She was kept with a buck and was obviously bred shortly after they were born
because now she is due anytime.
I thought I would have another month before she kidded.
I'm nervous enough with one goat kidding, but two around the same time?

They both have a discharge. It's hard for me to even check Star's ligs because she freaks when I touch her tail. Sunny is also skittish.

I have two stalls in the goat shed but only one has a door. I didn't know two would kid at the same time!

I have my birthing kit ready.

I even have a baby monitor set up.

They had their CDT shots and have been wormed.

Their diet consists of sweet feed , BOSS, loose minerals, hay mixed with alfalfa hay, along with the occasional produce treat.

I can't pinpoint the date they were bred so I don't have a due date. I can only go by signs.

Sunny has had a white discharge for a week.

Star started having a discharge for a couple of days, which why I think she will deliver soon. There is more of it and it has a brownish tint to it. She is also big.

My biggest fear is a stuck kid. Can I do this? I live out in the country. There is only one livestock animal vet who covers a large area. There are alot of cow farms and people make their living off those cows. So they would take precedence. We, my husband and I, are pretty much on our own.

My biggest mistake was to not meet other goat people in the area. The woman who I got Star from lives far from me.

Questions. - Should I find a way to close off the other pen? Should they both be in the stall pens now or should I wait until I know they are in labor? For the past two days I have been locking Sunny in the stall pen at night but letting her out in the outside pen.

I live in Wirt County, West Virginia. Is there anyone close who I can call for advice?

I guess the closer they get to delivering the more awful scenarios I am imagining.
Thanks.

·
city-turned-country girl
1,137 Posts
Ohh you poor thing...I'm sure it's going to be just fine :hug::hug: It sounds like you are doing a perfect job. Sorry I don't live closer.
Have they kidded before?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i was in your exact same shoes earlier this year, except it was one, not two. i had imagined every scenario, had some vet numbers in my pocket, read many articles and watched loads of youtube videos. made sure my nails were short, and that i was mentally ready to "go in" if needed.

well....turns out.......my doe didn't even need me. she had her baby in the middle of the night, and i woke up to a half cleaned baby in her stall.

the lady i got my doe from told me that 99% of births she's encountered (and she has over 100 goats for many years now...so you can do the math), she's only had to call the vet once to do a c-section. reading this forum doesn't really help b/c everyone really only posts when things go wrong....

now it's great to be pumped and mentally ready to "go in", but really.....most times things go just really right and you won't be needed at all!

happy kidding, and let us know how it goes, AND you know we're all here for you if you need anything!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Nchen and Sylvie. I have the baby monitor next to my bed and I'm listening to every little noise. They have been coughing too. I wormed them with Ivomec. Their temp is fine and they have a good appetite but it's something else Im worried about. You know I'm a grandmother and my children are grown and left the nest, but I feel like I'm the mother of small children again with all the same worries. :eek:

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i've never been a parent, but i can definitely see the similarities! i didn't have a baby monitor...if i did, i probably would have been able to be there for her. but i think it was better i wasn't there. i'm sure i'd stress her out more than needed, you know....me being anxious and all. ;)

you'll do great! just remember to breathe!

·
14,615 Posts
We're all here for you, holding your hand.
Dont worry about the stall with no door for now.
They can have white discharge for a few weeks before kidding.
The brown tint with Star's could mean she could go any time. As long as it's not red (blood) she's fine.
Either of them have bright shiney udder?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Nancy. Their udders are fuller, larger looking. Sunny's looks a little shiny but not Star's. Another strange thing is they are both rubbing up against the fence and the rock - like a cat. I don't see any parasites on their skins though. They both have a healthy appetites and always seem hungry. I know they get enough to eat. It's close to 11 so I am going to sleep - if I can. I will read your reply tomorrow.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Can I do this?
Can you do this? You don't have much choice. Take a deep breath and calm down. I've been where you are, only it was with 7 does. It will be ok. As far as those cow people go, have you made friends with any of them? I believe I would be talking to some of them I knew to see if they would be willing to help if the need arises. If they know how to pull a calf, they know how to pull a kid. "Stuck" kids are not all that common - I had a doe kid last January and the kid was full breach. Polly delivered it pretty much on her own, with the baby wagging her tail every now and then to let me know she was still in the fight. In fact, the only time I've had to pull kids is when the doe was carrying triplets and the kids got tangled up. In the 5 years I've been raising goats, I've only had to assist with a delivery 5 times and that is with 40+ does kidding. Chances are good your does will do just fine. You don't want to confine them any sooner than necessary because it could flip them out, and it will prevent them from exercising and keeping their muscles strong. It could also lead to weight gain, and you don't want that for a variety of reasons. Try to remain calm, stop imagining horrible scenarios, convince yourself that you CAN do this, and get ready to be amazed, delighted, and overcome with the incredible cuteness of goat kids!

PS I don't know about other goats, but when my girls bellies drop and they become hollowed out in front of the hip bones, they usually kid within the next few hours.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you GoatCrazy. Across the river adjoining my property is one of the biggest cattle ranches in the state. It is owned by a Co-op. My nearest neighbor is a mile away.
That's a good idea. I am Facebook friends with a woman who has horses. She is pratically a neighbor. It's time I meet her. We have been here for almost 3 years and still don't know our neighbors. But I can't go anywhere right now.
Update--- nothing happened last night. I am very concerned about the coughing. I am going to get another temp. I read that I can do a float test for lung worm. They had two Ivermec treatments. I gave the second dosage 8 days later orally. ( 5 days ago). My husband injected the first treatment and honestly I am not 100 percent sure he got it in their system.
Star is very ornery right now. She actually butted me when I tried to touch her ligaments. She usually tries to butt the other goat. We fashioned a horn guard for her out of a garden hose so she doesn't hurt when she butts. The poor thing looks like a space alien. :D I don't think her udder is as full as it could be but her teats seem darker and longer.
Sunny is a real little sweet but skittish goat. Her udder looks full . She is not too big so I believe she has only one in there. She likes the stall pen but hates it when I lock the gate on the pen. Now that I have the baby monitor I think I will leave it open at night.
Thank you everyone for the cyber hand holding. I am not as nervous knowing that I have such knowledgable goat people in my corner.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
they'll do great! and so will you! if you want, take some pictures of their lady bits and post. many people here (not including me) can tell if they're ready to kid just by looking!

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Lydia the Goat's owner. :) That's okay. I will manage. That's great that you are starting early. By the time you're my age you will be an expert. :) Are you in 4 H? It seems that, at least around here, most people in Wirt and Wood county are in to Cows and Hogs. They really don't have much for goat people in 4H. Thanks again.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Here there are a lot if people in 4h that do goats ( including me!) a lot of them do cows or hogs too. I have two boers that i just got and have been showing spanish nubian mixes before. Good luck on kidding! Keep me posted! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts