Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by countryboy, Feb 11, 2009.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    So tell me about poopy of a new born kid. We have a kid that was born last night and the poopy is like baby poop. The thing that bugs me is that it might dry and seal both parts. She is a girl, that's why I said she has two parts. Is mom goat suppose to clean it? Am I suppose to clean it?

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    The first poop is black, the meconium(sp). After about 24 hours it will turn into orange poo from the mommy's milk. Some mom's clean their kids back ends and others don't. If they don't then I usually end up cleaning the kids back ends.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You cannot rely on mom cleaning it off, most likely she will not....clean it off yourself, and watch her.... to make sure it doesn't collect and block off her urine....I am not sure....maybe someone else can tell you for sure..... but I think I heard you smear Vaseline on her privates....so it is easier to clean off.... :shrug:

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would also wash her off, use a warm towel or whatever and clean the baby off. I have heard when it dries and they can not go anymore. Most the time mom will clean them but like the others said not always.

5. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Thanks for the replies and SO fast. I see why there is so many women on here. It must be a motherly thing. I mean as I said before, I'm truely BLESSED. My seventh month along pregnant wife was out there cleaning the little baby. Thank GOD for her!

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    congratulations on the baby doeling and the upcoming birth of your own child.

7. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Hey yeah, Thank you very much!

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree...some mommy's do better when it comes to cleaning their babies, but sometimes it's neccessary to step in and do the "nasties" for them...congrats on the doeling, and congrats on your own "kid's" arrival in a couple months!