The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the goat world and have only had goats for a year. I just purchased a really nice black and white Spanish buck today, but since I am I highschooler and want to make a little extra cash, I have been thinking about having a stud service. But I don't know how to go about it . I am afraid the people that bring theirs to my house will get sick or die or something, and it would be my fault!? How do I go about this and how much should I charge?

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
You could offer just driveway breedings. Then they bring the girl when she is in heat and you breed them somewhere away from your herd. You want to be sure that they are healthy so you don't bring diseases into your own herd.

I have seen breeding fees anywhere from $25 to $100 around me.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I'm offering my 2 bucks for stud service. I make it clear that they need to be tested for diseases, paperwork showing that. If they haven't been tested I give a referral for a friend of mine to help with the testing... A couple good things from this. she sees the animals before I do, if something is not quite right she will inform me. I offer driveway breedings, and so far both boys has 4 dates lined up:) I'm charging $25.00 a doe since I don't have registered stock.

·
14,615 Posts
Has he been tested? Is he registered? Both these factors will up your fee.
Are there any clubs or groups you belong to?
Does he have kids on the ground?
You (he) is going to need exposure.
I recommend protecting him & your does above all.
What we do is insist on tested does & ask to see the papers. We do a "vet check" consisting of checking for lice & mites or any sores on any does even if it's drive way.
Generally speaking, around here most folks have their own bucks. We have had only two outside breedings.
One was for a day & the other an overnighter.
We'd all love to see what this fella looks like.;)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
we do driveway only and require testing on the does cl, cae and johnes.(caprine biosecurity testing from waddl) we charge $75 for the first doe and 50 each doe after. we allow rebreeding if the doe doesnt tke.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts