The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After doing lots of Internet researching on goats this was one of my favorite sites to keep coming back to! As of tomorrow, myself and my daughter will be the proud first time owners of two Pygmy babies! My 4 year old daughter has already named them. We talked my husband into it finally...ok ok well we just told him! We can't wait to start this learning experience. I know all there is to know about cattle...and they are great and all but I have always wanted to own goats as well. I'm happy to say that my little dream will come true!

Any advise as I bring them home tomorrow? One (Sweetie) is a 9 week old doeling already weaned and the second (Rocky) is a 2 week old buckling that we will have bottle feed.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Here is a check list:

Shelter: (wind and water tight) for the winter. For such lil goaties, even a large dog house would work with it turned away from the wind and maybe some kinda plastic or carpet flaps in front of the door. Just wanna make sure no wind gets in there.

Pen: Be it a loafing area or a pasture, you want good fencing to keep them in and dogs out. A loafing area is a place in which their shelter is that can be locked up at night to keep them safe.

Water: I prefer automatic waterers in the summer and deicers in the winter. A frost free is a must have for winters. No worrying about it freezing up :)

Feed: A good quality hay or lots of smaller back yard goat owners like to use alfalfa pellets with a mix of other grains. For that you will need someone who does it to chime in.

Supplements: A good loose mineral mix will lessen the likelihood of issues you will have and keep the goaties in top shape. Dont use blocks, they dont work well enough.

Things to have on hand for emergencies: Peptmo, MoM, LA 200 or another like anti biotic (mainly in case of pneumonia) probios, baking soda. If you dont have good access to a feed store then maybe having some wormer and cocci treatment on hand would also help.

I am sure I am missing something but if you have the above in order, the only other thing you absolutely must have is... fun :) Enjoy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much! I believe I am ready to pick them up tonight. Right now I have a very large dog kennel that we have built that they will be in for a few weeks (since they are going to be pets I plan to let them out with supervision mostly) hopefully in the next few weeks I will extend the kennel and have a fenced in area for them as well. The kennel has one end enclosed on three sides with a roof over it.

I picked up a berry block, should I let the kids have that at all times now or wait until they are older?

·
Registered
30,618 Posts
welcome fro central Texas...adorable kids..both human and goats : )

1 - 13 of 13 Posts