The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I have been a lurker for a bit, but finally decided to come say hello! Our family has been discussing a complete lifestyle change from our current situation in recent months, and working towards that goal. What could it be? Goats!!! Specifically of the fiber variety. The tight curls, the adorable faces, the luxurious colors and the variety of personalities are all drawing us in pretty deep and pretty quick!

We are currently in SE Michigan. We have 3 boys (10yo and 8yo twins) who are all a flutter with excitement for this new adventure our family is wanting to venture on. Right now, our family is in what I call the "dream phase" of this entire process. We are researching, we are learning, we are trying to gather all the info we can! Our desire is to obtain angora and cashmere goats, some chickens for eggs and parasite assistance, and a few others as we decide. Not all at once of course!! But our hope is to eek out a modest, reasonable living raising our animals to have an amazing life. We still have some barriers we need to address, so this isn't happening anytime soon. We don't expect to get the ball really rolling until late this year or early early next year. Our family wants to have as many of our ducks as close to in a row as is reasonable.

With all that said, we know we cannot gain all the know-how and info just reading online articles, blogs, and the like. There is a wealth of information in those who live and breathe goats already. Experience can far outpace a book, hands down. So I would like to ask, of anyone willing, what are we getting ourselves into? Really though, I want it all. The good, the bad, the ugly. Tell me about the worst of goat rearing. The best of it and all in between. I am a type of individual who tries to know as much as I can before I leap head first, so that I know where the bottom is when I get in. I know that isn't always possible or 100%, but I figure since we are wanting to raise and care for another living thing, it would be best to be in the know.

We have some farming and goat experience, collectively, but it is limited. We do intend to get hands to goats and visit some farms long before we start anything. But in my experience, it is those who live and breathe a thing that seem to know the most pertinent info.

So lay it on me lovelies! I can take it!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Welcome! Glad you are here! Everybody's experience is a little different, but you are starting out on a good foot by researching and educating yourself before becoming goat owners. Goats are as heartbreaking sometimes as they are rewarding. I really enjoy raising goats. They all have their own personality which is how I name some of mine (like Butthead....guess what her personality is?) It's hard not getting attached to them, but at the end of the day, they are livestock, and they must serve a purpose on my farm (and yes, companionship is a purpose). One of the most valuable lessons I have learned over the years is that it is cheaper to keep a goat healthy than to nurse a sick goat back to health. Don't cut corners trying to save money. A misconception is goats will eat anything. Not true! They are pretty resilient if managed properly, but they can also "mysteriously" become sick if we don't spend time taking care of them. Education, Management, and a bit of luck go a long way! Happy goating!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
:hello: Welcome to The Goat Spot. Will be looking forward to future post from you retelling the adventures of setting things up and livestock shopping.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts