The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all and thank you for welcoming us! We are the goat ladies of Harmony Hill in Western Washington, Dawn and Micaela (mother and daughter).

Our goat herd includes:
Pearl, the stubborn Boer/Sanaan
Violet, the oh-so-sweet Guernsey/Oberhasli
Um...that's it.

The girls were purchased in 2017 to give our Livestock Guardian Dog (LGD) something to guard and, oh yes, to keep our blackberry tangle-of-drama at bay. (As you wise ones probably already know, the goats are experts at eating the leaves and avoiding the vines. Live and learn.)

As we had the ultimate intention of milking said goats and enjoying fresh yummyness in the form of milk and cheese, we did indeed have the girls bred recently. Now we have to build a barn. Don't tell me no one else has done this backwards thinking.

Our Violet has a tragic past, which we will share to our embarrassment, but perhaps to someone's edification. We left the girls tethered in the blackberry patch where our LGDs had no access to them. To our horror, a neighbor dog wandered in and wanted to play. I'll spare you the gory details, but poor Violet now has one less ear. (Our dear neighbors paid the vet bill and we have a good relationship with them - happy ending.) Please don't think we're sick if we refer to her as half LaMancha. She's a lovely thing and we adore her...them...both of them...yup. And we're looking forward to kids in May! Woo hoo!
PICT7795.JPG
PICT7503.JPG

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
Welcome to the group!
I love your username! I've spent a few hours laughing at Inspector Gadget cartoons.
I think your Half LaMancha joke is funny, but since actually being 1/2 LaMancha is really a thing, this could cause confusion if told in the wrong place and time!
What do you have your girls bred to (what kind of buck, is what I'm asking)?

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I really thought everyone got goats first, then started the process of figuring out how to house.
Until I joined this forum.lol
This is really a great place to learn about goats, worldwide!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the group!
I love your username! I've spent a few hours laughing at Inspector Gadget cartoons.
I think your Half LaMancha joke is funny, but since actually being 1/2 LaMancha is really a thing, this could cause confusion if told in the wrong place and time!
What do you have your girls bred to (what kind of buck, is what I'm asking)?
Thanks for the warm welcome! :)
Violet was bred to a Guernsey. I fear to say I don't remember what we bred Pearl to, but his name was Paladin. One we were breeding for milk, the other for temperament. We've got a pretty fantastic breeder/goat mentor who set us up. I guess I should keep better records though, huh?
I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers Inspector Gadget! Go go Gadget milking parlor:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum! I really thought everyone got goats first, then started the process of figuring out how to house.
Until I joined this forum.lol
This is really a great place to learn about goats, worldwide!
What I'd like is an inflatable barn - or better yet, a kit where I can add a drop of water and it expands to a pole barn with subdivisions, milking stand and straw already included. (sigh) Someday.....

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
What I'd like is an inflatable barn - or better yet, a kit where I can add a drop of water and it expands to a pole barn with subdivisions, milking stand and straw already included. (sigh) Someday.....
Go, Go Gadget Barn!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts