The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had the worst kidding of our lives 2 nites ago. Wonderful 4 y.o. doe... babies were all tangled up in there. 1st was butt first. 2nd was on top of #1 with one only one front leg presenting (the other leg and head were turned completely backwards). It was nothing short of a miracle that these babies came out alive (especially #2) - but we lost the mama (I had my vet euthanize her yesterday morning). We're still working to keep babies going. #2 is doing great overall - strong and active even though we've had to splint his front legs and supplement selenium for contracted pasterns. He'll be fine.

#1, however, is a different story. His left side is weak, especially his left rear leg. Sometimes I think perhaps it's like a mini-stroke, but then he moves that front leg pretty normally and I rethink that. The left rear leg is the bigger problem. He favors it when standing (think like a horse resting a rear leg, hoof cocked up). He has learned to get himself into standing position (with great effort!), which suggests the problem is not in the hip. When I put him in my lap and try flexing both rear legs at the knee, there's resistance in the right leg (as would be expected) but the left one flaps like a flag in the wind. Obviously with a butt first delivery, I had to pull him out by the legs. I can't recall which leg presented 1st... but with this I'm thinking it was probably the left... which means I probably did this. (I comfort myself by telling myself that he and his brother are alive. If I hadn't gotten him out, neither would be alive. Sigh... Small consolation.) When he tries to walk (he's not really good at that yet, I think due to the left side issue), he can lift the leg slightly (from the hip?) but then the hoof drags until he can wobble it into position. He is nursing from a bottle pretty well, though not as vigorously as his brother. Other than that his vitals are pretty good. He has had 3 injections of selenium (MuSe... 1/10th of a cc each time... one after birth, one yesterday, one today)

I'd appreciate any tips anyone can give... medical, herbal, whatever. I'm thinking perhaps a comfrey poultice and a splint... but I'm not exactly sure how to immobilize that joint.

Thanks, all!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have no tips. Sorry you lost Mom. (((((Hugs))))) Were you able to get colostrum for them? I hope someone chimes in soon with some help for you!
Yes... It was evident pretty quickly that mom was not going to be able to nurse immediately, so I milked her out as best I could before she went down. I got maybe 10 ounces, which I split between the two boys. I'm pretty comfortable they got adequate colostrum. I'm just feeding pasteurized whole cow's milk. I have 3 other does that had already kidded, but their kids are taking their full supply... none available for 2 more. I just read in another thread about cod liver oil. I think I have some... I think that might be good since (I think) the grocery store cow's milk has less fat than the goat milk. Thanks for the ((((Hugs))))! I needed that! :eek:)

·
8,483 Posts
As long as the hip isn't completely out of the socket- gently manipulate it a little- it should get stronger. I have an Oberhasli buckling that was way too big for his mom. Somehow, with rotation and lots of pulling, we got him out. Doe is ok, but his front legs were dislocated- one shoulder is still wonky- both ankles were floppy- bracing, Bo se, vit E gel cap, vit. B complex and lots of Physical therapy- at a week old, he is almost normal. I am hoping his shoulder gets better. It looks way better than at first.

I bet your baby will improve over the next week or so. So sorry you lost the doe, that is sad....

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd definitely add the cod liver oil. I'd also give him some B Complex. You may have to splint the leg.
I just dug out my cod liver oil... purchased several years ago but never opened. I figure it's still good! (It has to be... that's all I have!)

Any suggestions on splinting (technique)? My old 1st aid book says "immobilize the joints above and below". That's a tough one in this location! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As long as the hip isn't completely out of the socket- gently manipulate it a little- it should get stronger. I have an Oberhasli buckling that was way too big for his mom. Somehow, with rotation and lots of pulling, we got him out. Doe is ok, but his front legs were dislocated- one shoulder is still wonky- both ankles were floppy- bracing, Bo se, vit E gel cap, vit. B complex and lots of Physical therapy- at a week old, he is almost normal. I am hoping his shoulder gets better. It looks way better than at first.

I bet your baby will improve over the next week or so. So sorry you lost the doe, that is sad....
Oh, my... poor little guy! I'll tell "Little Brother" he isn't alone in his pain! Thanks for your suggestions and report. Gives me both hope and an action plan. So appreciated!!!

·
Super Moderator
32,192 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss of mom. So sad. Good job on getting the brothers out.
I would not give any more selenium. Muse is stronger than BoSe if I remember correctly.
Cod liver oil sure won't hurt. That and time.
The comfrey poultice wouldn't hurt either ;)
Best wishes

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sorry for your loss of mom. So sad. Good job on getting the brothers out.
I would not give any more selenium. Muse is stronger than BoSe if I remember correctly.
Cod liver oil sure won't hurt. That and time.
The comfrey poultice wouldn't hurt either ;)
Best wishes
Thank you Cathy! Yes, MuSe is about 5x stronger than BoSe, so I cut the dosage accordingly. In my limited experience, generally contracted tendons start straightening out after about 3 doses plus splinting (that's what we're working with #2) I started the cod liver oil with their evening bottles just now -- about 2/10 cc per 8 oz milk. Depending on how #1 looks tomorrow I may add in a comfrey poultice. (I try not to add too many things at once... no idea what is really working!) Beyond that we wait... and continue to pray!

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions and caring. Thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.