The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, a week ago, on Saturday, I noticed that one of my does had feet and a nose sticking out of her rear. I pulled the kid...as there was no sack over the nose and I didn't know how long she had been in that state.

The kid was slow to come-to. Af first I didn't think that it was going to live and it took awhile for him to want to walk. I got him to nurse after a bit, and as days went by he got stronger. In the main pen, it seems like she was aware of the kid although she didn't clean the kid or act motherly. I went to separate them, in to a smaller pen and when they did they all got out. She ran out with all of the others, and her sister and it seems like she doesn't even know that her kid is bawling. When I separate her and the kid...all she wants to to is look at the others and bawl. I go in every few hours and feed him and after a few days, he seems to finally be able to get w/the program.

After a day of so, I put 2 of the yearlings in w/them in order to stop the bawling...

Well, 6 days later I go out, the kid is up against the side of the hut, smushed, dead, frozen.

The next day, again Saturday, I am working on a car and my daughter is talking about a new goat...well there twern't no new goat as I was just in there feeding them...or so I thought. Her sister had dropped a kid. He was on the ground w/yellow goop all over him. (I wanted to call him snotty-body based on this, but it didn't go). I separated them almost immediately and it seems like the mom doesn't even notice the kid, again, and all she wants to do is bawl at her sister and the others. She doesn't even seem to notice her kid bawling (which is much stronger than a week earlier) So, I put them back together. After an hour, the kid is up and around...much stronger than the week earlier. By the end of the day, the kid is doing pretty good and I separate them into the small pen, all by themselves. But, it seems like mom is still interested in the other pen, as if she thinks that her kid is still in the other pen.

BTW, these are the mom's first kids. So, my questions, should I stop separating the mom's and kids at birth.

Could the mom actually not know that her kid is not next her and think that she is separated from her kid?

Also, would it be acceptable to supplement this kids feed w/milk from mom#1 (the one whose kid got smushed)? Or would that be like helping a chicken get out of the egg when it is born (you end up killing them, they have to get out on their own)?

·
Registered
742 Posts
AW! :cry: i wish i could give you some advice but i've never seen anything like that... my family had dairy goats for about 8 years and we always kept the kids with the mom for the first four days (unless mom rejected a kid). day five mom goes back in with the rest of the milking girls and the kids stay together in a seperate barn in pens and get bottle fed. wish i could help more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If mama goats aren't mothering up to their kids, I say do what you can to keep the kid alive. If you have mama's that have milk to spare for other rejected kids, then by all means feed them that mama's milk and keep the kid alive. Some animals just don't make good mothers, especially when it is their first. Some probably will never make good mothers. I am fairly new in the goat business, but not new to raising livestock. So yeah, do what you can to keep the kids alive. If nothing else, you are protecting your investments.

·
Registered
537 Posts
You can help a chick out of the egg.
You have to find the pip hole.
Go really really slow or it will bleed to death.
After removeing the shell it needs to be wrapped in toilet paper
tightly (Simulates egg) and put on a heating pad.
it seems that baby chicks gain strength from a bit
of struggle getting out of the shell. But some shells are too
hard or dry.
I have helped many chicks out. If the shell is
dried out. You may need to put the egg on
heating pad with damp paper towel laid over it. Just do
not want it saterated or it may drown.

On the goats. I would not put 2 yearlings in with
a newborn. They play too ruff. My yearling is a bully.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.