Newborn Help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by caprinelivin, Jan 30, 2017.

1. caprinelivin

caprinelivin Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Oklahoma
    I have a newborn in distress and a new computer so the recipes I had saved are inaccessible :( What I am looking for is the recipe containing coffee and...She is just a couple hours old, got rejected and I brought her in and she stated going weak fast! She was standing and tried sucking my finger but had a weak suck so I gave her 1/2 cc BoSe and 1 cc B Complex. I am thinking too I may not have given her enough B Complex? Any help is appreciated :)

2. PippasCubby

PippasCubby Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    E. WA
    I don't know the coffee recipe I have never used it.

My advice is to make sure she is warm (at least 100F) and getting plenty of colostrum. You may need to syringe feed her if she doesn't have the energy to suck. But she needs energy (milk) to have any energy.

How much does she weigh? I personally like to aim to feed about 20% of their body weight in the first 24hrs.

3. caprinelivin

caprinelivin Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Thank you for your response. The coffee recipe gives a little "jolt" of energy and I wanted to make sure I had given enough B Complex. Unfortunately I am well versed in bottle feeding :/

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    The coffee recipe is as follows;
    Mix in thirds. One third black coffee, one third karo or blackstrap molasses & a third some kind of whisky or any kind of hard alcohol.
    Hope she pulls through for you!

5. caprinelivin

caprinelivin Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Perfect! Thanks Nancy :)

6. PippasCubby

PippasCubby Well-Known Member

May 13, 2015
    E. WA
    That would give anybody quite the jolt! :p

I had heard of it before but never knew the recipe. I've always felt the dam's milk was the most well balanced energy for a newborn.

Anyways, I hope your little goat perks up and pulls through!

7. Tenacross

Tenacross Well-Known Member

May 26, 2011
    Enumclaw, Wa.
    That's because it is.

What is this kid's temperature? If it's under 100 degrees, warm up the kid. The best medicine is colostrum.

8. caprinelivin

caprinelivin Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Oklahoma
    I only consider it when I cannot get their energy up enough to get them up and moving. Most often the Vit B Complex does the trick but sometimes they need just a little extra :)
    And you are right, mother's colostrum and milk are best but sometimes they need a little extra help. This helps warm them up and gives them a little boost to get the colostrum/milk in :)

9. caprinelivin

caprinelivin Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Oklahoma
    I got the temp up to 101 and gave colostrum before doing anything else. Sometimes, they just need a little extra boost :) Thank you for your advice :)

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  11. caprinelivin

caprinelivin Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Thanks! I actually just came in and was sitting to write an update :) They are both doing well. I put the buckling back out with mom late last night and she was very happy to see him. Just a while ago I put the doeling back out with mom and the buckling and the mom was interested and trying to talk to the doeling but the doeling was not responding to her :/ I found this odd because the reason I took the doeling away from the mom is because the mom was pushing the doeling away. I have this doeling reject another doeling last year so I just brought her in and by the time I got her inside she was lethargic hence the reason for this whole post :/ While the doeling is perky she still will not suck--from bottle nor mom :/ I have wondered if the were a bit early because their teeth are still under the skin. Thank you for your help :)

12. caprinelivin

caprinelivin Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Oklahoma
    My little doeling is not doing well this morning. I have been able to get her to eat but something else I noticed is that she has not pooped since being born--not even the muconium. I brought her back in last night so I could continue to keep an eye on her and try feed her. When I woke up this morning she was warm but her mouth is cold. I cannot get her to eat--no suck reflex still:She just does not seem to be thriving. I still just wonder if she is a preemie but I could not have been more than a week off--could I? I do not know what else to do or if I should just let her go. I know y'all cannot answer that for me. I am headed out to check on the buckling.

13. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Do an enema. Soapy water or oil and water.

14. caprinelivin

caprinelivin Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Oklahoma
    What could I use for the enema "instrument" on such a tiny goat? She weighs 5 lbs.

15. ArborGoats

ArborGoats Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    A 1cc or 3cc syringe will work you will just have to do acouple (common sense, but no needles ;) )