The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, is it normal for kids to be born without erupted teeth? My Nubian girls were born nearly 48 hours ago (Saturday) and have teeth just popping out of the gums. Their gums look painful. They often hold their lips out showing their gums. I also wonder if they might have underbites or if they just look funky because they are so little. Teeth area is in front of the top jaw when I looked them over. I didn’t see cleft palate. I’ll include a photo.

Second, when they nurse they stop after a few sips of milk and act like their mouth hurts or the milk is bad. Milk seems ok. So that leaves them as the problem. Sometimes they shake their heads and lick their lips and milk dribbles out a little while they lick their gums and look around like something’s not right. They were pooping and drinking fine yesterday and this morning. The “tender” drinking got more obvious as the day went on. They nurse very frequently but only take a few sips worth of milk at a time. I also don’t think they are pooping as much as before. They are walking good and trying to play. Freya weighs 7.10 lbs. Aster weighs 6.9 lbs.

Aster had really stinky yellow poop stuck to her butt, and her backend looked wet, so I cleaned it up and gave her a probiotic for newborn goats I bought just in case. I plan on giving her a bit of that maybe every three-four hours during the day for a few days maybe. She hasn’t had more poop on her like that, but I worry that’s because she might not be drinking enough.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Did you give them selenium and B Complex the day they were born? Teeth not erupted can be a sign of premature.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you give them selenium and B Complex the day they were born? Teeth not erupted can be a sign of premature.
I did put a dab of selenium+vitamin e and also a dab of b complex gel on my finger and put it in their mouths when they were drying off. Mama also had half doses of selenium gel the last month of pregnancy about weekly. Then a full dose the day of labor. I also gave her a half dose of replamin gel the day before she kidded. The kids were full term. I believe our Nigerian twins also did not have fully erupted teeth. But I can’t really remember. I know Kicks had pearly whites pretty quick, since she chomped my finger. But I don’t think Dandy did. They were also full term. Could not fully erupted teeth be a mineral thing?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Ok. So you need to take temps and weigh daily. Babies dont drink long. The first 2 weeks at least its sip sip. If they are not gaining weight then supplement.
Yellow poop is milk poop. You should be seing pellets by now.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
If you weigh them daily, you all be able to see if they're gaining or not. The newborn kids sleep a lot, and will only take sips of milk. Sometimes, the moms will eat the poop, so you will not see it in the pen. If they overeat, that can cause the runny poop.
I have noticed a pattern in my kids: they will overeat, get runny poop, then get kinda sleepy for a half a day or so (I guess because their tummy hurts, and they don't feel like doing much), then go back to normal. I freaked out the first time that happened, but now just keep a close eye on them and wait a little bit for things to normalize before swooping in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts