Newborn with blown pupils and no appetite

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by SATACableQueen, Jul 4, 2020.

1. SATACableQueen

SATACableQueen New Member

Jan 25, 2020
    US
    So I experienced my first kidding a few days ago with my two year old first freshener Nigerian Dawrf and her first of three kids presented nose first with no hooves. She managed to deliver him on her own, quickly followed by the other two. The little guy refused to nurse, both from mom and from a bottle. I ended up using a drenching gun to make sure he got colostrum. I gave him nutridrench and half a cc of Bose to try and get him to perk up. He never pooped, lifted his tail, or really walked around, and his pupils were incredibly large. The morning of his second day I went out to find him laying flat, drooling, cold, and unable to move. I got a blanket and tried to warm him up but he died minutes later. Does anyone have any idea what happened to him? I'm trying to figure out if it was something in the way I handled him, if mom needed something different in her prenatal care, or if it was just a fluke.

2. KentuckyBeth

KentuckyBeth New Member

Jul 4, 2020
    Kentucky
    I am so sorry for your loss. I don't know much, but I have learned a lot recently trying to research the cause of one of our bucklings mysterious illness', so I may find something helpful in research. Are the other two healthy, and did mom seem healthy prior too and after the kidding?

3. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Lack of Oxygen during the birthing process causing brain damage is what it sounds like.

4. SATACableQueen

Jan 25, 2020
    US
    Mom was in good health, and the other two are bouncy, healthy little babies.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    Moers kiko boars likes this.
  5. HungryFox

HungryFox Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2020
    New England
    Take temp prior to giving colostrum?

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Must not of gotten enough to eat, especially if you didn't go out and feed a little bit, every couple of hours, even at night, so sadly went sub temp.

I am so sorry for the loss. :(

7. SATACableQueen

Jan 25, 2020
    US
    I didn't take his temp before feeding, but I'm sure he got enough to eat. He got 10% of his body weight in feedings that were spread out throughout the day. He had a full, round little belly.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Do know, if they are sub temp, under 100 degree's and we feed them, could be deadly in itself. :(

goatblessings likes this.
  9. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Luckily that isn't true of colostrum which is made to warm the body core and stimulate digestion.
    I would suspect that he was lacking oxygen. Being born with legs back can allow the cervix to slightly strangle a kid or the cord could have broken before he was ready.
    Underactive pupils are very common with brain damage and lack of oxygen is the most common birth injury.