The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sassy's baby was born on Sunday, about 10 days premature. She appeared to be doing well. Today she has very liquid-y yellow stools. She has been nursing. Not a lot, but regularly. I searched the stall as best I could, and didn't see any evidence that this has been going on long. Looks like it started this morning.

This is our first baby born here, so I'm having trouble telling if she's lethargic, or just sleepy. She stands up and walks about occasionally. She's a bit wobbly, but has been that way all along.

We have TDN non medicated scours gel, and I gave her 1 cc this morning, along with a squirt of Nutri-drench. Has anyone used the scours gel? Do you know what the dosage should be for newborn goats? It's labeled for bottle-fed calves, so I wasn't sure.

I talked to the vet, and they don't seem too concerned. Said to keep an eye on her and call again if she took a turn for the worse. Am I over-reacting? What else should I be trying?

Off to the barn now to get a temp, and try to get some fluids in her....

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
In my opinion, I would not give her anything but Nutra Drench, their little bodies are trying to get use to th milk without medication.

Is she with mom or are you bottle feeding? IF you are bottle feeding what and how much are you feeding andhow often. Also I would keep a eye on her temp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Since she's a newborn. Did you make sure that she got enough colostrum? This year we had a lot of babies born. We always milked out colostrum to make sure the kid got some. It's very crucial for them to have that. Also. You can possibly buy a gallon of colostrum at a local dairy store. we always make sure we have at least a gallon

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She's with her mom. We did not milk the colostrum out to give it to her. We made certain that she nursed several times, and that the nipples weren't plugged up. She didn't get very much at any one time the first day, but we did make sure that she latched on several times.

We just spent some time with her out at the barn. She nursed well. She took a little bit more of the Nutri-drench and anti-scours gel, but not much. Obviously didn't taste as good as momma's milk :) Also gave a pea-sized blob of pro-biotic paste.

She also was quite a bit more active than she has been. Bounced around some and explored. Poop is still liquid though.

If we wanted to restrict her diet to the nutri-drench temporarily, what's the best way to do that, since she's still on her mom?

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
Sounds likem om has plenty of milk...and baby is getting too much of it. I would not treat with anti scour meds just yet..
its better to pull her off mom 1-2 hours at a time to let her tummy digest..give C D Antitoxin until things get to normal..normal forher would be yellow pasty to sticky poo
here are some pix of baby poop..normal to runny...
http://goat-link.com/content/view/46/75/#.Ua4n3WSDR68

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
you dont want to pull her totally off at this point ..Nutra drench is great for supplement..but its not food..you can offer electrolytes between nursing to keep her hydrated..but no more than an once or less..watch tummy to see if she is poochy..you want a firm but flat, not sunken look to her tummy
here is a nice electro recipe
Homemade Electrolytes

A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it. Most of mine love this stuff unlike the electrolytes you buy..

When I looked on the back of the electrolytes bag at ingredients the main ingredients were Sugars, Sodium/salts and Potassium along with vitamin and minerals..

Molasses is a sugar with Vitamins and Minerals

Of course the salts are hopefully self explanatory..

Apple Cider Vinegar contains potassium..

This is much cheaper than those tiny bags of electrolytes and usually you have these ingredients on hand.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Been meaning to post an update, but things have been crazy busy. Sorry for the delay.

Huge thank you's to everyone! Doeling is doing great now.

·
Registered
31,518 Posts
good news : )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts