Newborn won’t get up stiff legs help??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Goat111, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Goat111

Goat111 New Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Texas
    I have a baby that was born this morning. We found her around 2 her legs were really cold and she was lying flat on her side in the dirt. She was a triplet, and the other two were up nursing. I have her in the house warmed her up and she is eating pretty well. Still flat on her side though with very stiff straight front legs. She can raise her head when propped up and does kick her back legs.

MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  2. Aasiya

Aasiya Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Hi. Did you give her selenium and vitamin b complex? Lack of selenium generally causes foot problems in newborns...but i haven't heard of the stiffness you describe. I wonder if she's too young to have polio or tetanus? Hope others can help more.
    A baby goat in my care just recovered from something like this...but it happened after being mauled by a cat. Her front legs kept sliding out of control but she could move her back legs...she is being treated with penicillin and vitamin b complex...also gave her some cod liver oil and selenium earlier.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.

3. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

First is this goat Nubian?
    Second B complex injection 1/2 cc orally, it works faster that way in newborns.
    1/4 cc cod liver oil orally 2 doses 12 hours apart.
    1 400 mg vitamin E, squeeze the oil into her mouth
    1 100 mg vitamin D, same as above.

Do her legs bend normally when you try to move them or are they stuck?

4. Goat111

Goat111 New Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Texas
    They are stuck in place it feels like. If I try to move them myself I can move them just a tiny bit on two front ones. She is kiko/boer mix. I gave her a little dose of some selenium and E gel I had on hand.

MadHouse likes this.
  5. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

Try to get the rest of the vitamins and start doing bending exercises with her legs. Heat and movement.
    Do you know if the Boer is full blood or bred up? I ask because there is a genetic disorder in Nubian goats that causes these symptoms.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  6. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Be sure to take rectal temperature before feeding any more. Needs to be over 100*F to digest.

Fingers crosses for this one!

toth boer goats, Aasiya and MadHouse like this.
  7. Goat111

Goat111 New Member

Jan 27, 2021
    Texas
    They are mixed breed so I can’t say 100% what all they could have in them. We just have them for pets and they pasture graze. She is the tiniest of the 3 that were born. Only 3.6lbs, I wonder myself if maybe she just got underdeveloped. I’m gonna keep working with her and try these vitamins.