The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
My first doe of the season kidded triplets (my first ever) around 11pm 01/25. She was on day 154 of gestation and waited for the coldest night (snow and freezing temps) to kid. Her third kid was doa. The other two were healthy and had started to stand and attempt to nurse. I went into the house to clean up then 30 minutes later went out to check on them. Both kids were too weak to stand. I checked temps. The doe’s temp was around 93 and the buckling’s was around 98 and he was still attempting to stand. Brought them both in and went through the motions of trying to warm them. I put them in a bath and got their temperatures to 101-102 and they started to perk up. Took them to see mom briefly. The buckling nursed, the doeling refused. Took them back inside and I’m back to square one. Their temps keep fluctuating but they never stay at 100 or above. I’ve given them two baths, electrolytes, honey on the gums, thiamine injections, colostrum straight from mom (when their temperatures were 101+) and nothing seems to be working. The doeling won’t even move anymore. The buckling is talkative but he can barely sit up straight.
Between college, my job, and this heartbreaking start to my season; I’m exhausted. I haven’t slept at all in 24 hours. My brain can barely function. What am I missing? Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
Hello all.
My first doe of the season kidded triplets (my first ever) around 11pm 01/25. She was on day 154 of gestation and waited for the coldest night (snow and freezing temps) to kid. Her third kid was doa. The other two were healthy and had started to stand and attempt to nurse. I went into the house to clean up then 30 minutes later went out to check on them. Both kids were too weak to stand. I checked temps. The doe's temp was around 93 and the buckling's was around 98 and he was still attempting to stand. Brought them both in and went through the motions of trying to warm them. I put them in a bath and got their temperatures to 101-102 and they started to perk up. Took them to see mom briefly. The buckling nursed, the doeling refused. Took them back inside and I'm back to square one. Their temps keep fluctuating but they never stay at 100 or above. I've given them two baths, electrolytes, honey on the gums, thiamine injections, colostrum straight from mom (when their temperatures were 101+) and nothing seems to be working. The doeling won't even move anymore. The buckling is talkative but he can barely sit up straight.
Between college, my job, and this heartbreaking start to my season; I'm exhausted. I haven't slept at all in 24 hours. My brain can barely function. What am I missing? Does anyone have any suggestions?
B complex. Put coats on them and have either a heat pad under them or a heat lamp on them. Nursing will also help when you can get them warm enough. Make them a little cave to stay in. You just have to keep a very close check on temps so they do not get too hot.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a special area for them with a heat lamp in their stall with mom. Should I take them back outside and put them under it? That’s where they were when I originally found them.

·
Premium Member
4,738 Posts
I have a special area for them with a heat lamp in their stall with mom. Should I take them back outside and put them under it? That's where they were when I originally found them.
They need to stay under the warm constantly right now. I would keep them in the house because you are having to check on the so much. Plus you can keep them in one warm spot. You could bring mom in with them. But all the treckin back and forth to the barn will get tiring very quickly for you. But that is up to you. Taking them to mom to try to nurse is ok. But you have to make it short visits. Because they just do not need be chilled at all. Preemies have a very hard time with their temps.

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
You've got to tube them. Colostrum from the dam or Colostrum replacer warmed to 100*F. Put 3-4 ounces in each kid.

Did the dam have selenium supplementation during pregnancy? Are they normal birth weights?

When you put them in a hot bath, did you have them inside a plastic grocery bag with head sticking out? Don't get them wet.

Put them in a box or laundry basket covered with a towel on top of a heating pad and run a blow dryer in there for a few minutes. Or bring your heat lamp inside.

Please don't place blame on the doe for "waiting for the coldest night" - she didn't choose her breeding date or to live in our cold climates! She's still a good mama.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You've got to tube them. Colostrum from the dam or Colostrum replacer warmed to 100*F. Put 3-4 ounces in each kid.

Did the dam have selenium supplementation during pregnancy? Are they normal birth weights?

When you put them in a hot bath, did you have them inside a plastic grocery bag with head sticking out? Don't get them wet.

Put them in a box or laundry basket covered with a towel on top of a heating pad and run a blow dryer in there for a few minutes. Or bring your heat lamp inside.

Please don't place blame on the doe for "waiting for the coldest night" - she didn't choose her breeding date or to live in our cold climates! She's still a good mama.
I'm sorry if I came off as blaming my dam. She is an amazing mom and couldn't be more pleased to her character as a mother. I guess I should have prefaced that statement with something along the lines of "the weather has been holding steady in the 40's/50's until the last day when there was a sudden change." I believe the sudden change in weather/air pressure helped bring along the birth and i had been suspecting it this entire week. It is in no way my dam's fault. If anyone is to be held accountable, I believe it's me.
I got some colostrum in the babies. The little boy has a good suckling reflex and I got him to latch on to mom and nurse naturally.
They are normal weight and I have been doing selenium supplements during pregnancy as I am in a selenium deficit area. I also give all my newborns an injection of selenium as i have had kids born deficient in the past.
Babies are warm and I'm keeping their bellies full to the best I can. I will keep you all updated to the situation.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
My experince has been if you feed with a tub more than two ounces. the kid will burp the milk up and drown. I never give more than 1.5 ounces. that gives you an hour + to get the kid warm and on feed.
After tubing hold the kid so it hangs head up so it cant burp for 15 minutes. before you let him down.
with a cold kid my procedure is tub the kid fill the sink with hot water and bath the kid tell his temp i back to normal. remove the kid and towel it dry finish the drying with a hair dryer.

Feeding a week kid with a bottle make sure you make the kid sallow up. that way you do not get milk in its lungs.
how i hold my kids to make them swallow up is.
While sitting in a chair. I lay the kid on its side on my left leg letting the head hang between my legs.
With my left hand i turn the kids head so any excess milk can easily drain out of the mouth on to the floor. I stick my finger in the kids mouth and wiggle it to stimulate a sucking reflex. i then squirt a bit of milk on my finger so the kid can have a drink. it will take a wile but it sure is a relief when the kid starts to suck my finger. then quickly remove your finger and insert the bottle. making sure the kid still has to suck up.

·
Administrator
84,636 Posts

Very good advice.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everyone for all of the advice. I’m definitely taking notes in case I’m in another situation like this down the road.

As for an update; I wish I had something positive and uplifting to say but, I lost both babies :( the little buckling had started to show some improvement and I had some hope but he passed this morning.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Thank you everyone for all of the advice. I'm definitely taking notes in case I'm in another situation like this down the road.

As for an update; I wish I had something positive and uplifting to say but, I lost both babies :( the little buckling had started to show some improvement and I had some hope but he passed this morning.
:bighug:

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Dont be too hard on yourself. use this as a learning experience there will be another time you will have chilled kids. make a plan for next time you will be ready for it.
remember there is only so much you can do for them. lots of time it is the attitude of the kid that makes the difference.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts