The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started raising goats last July. Well my first girl is due any day now. Her first time kidding. Mine too! Well I keep seeing posts about ligs. What is that, what do they mean, and how do I check her? Thanks!

·
14,615 Posts
Welcome to TGS! How exciting for both of you!
Others really know their stuff when it comes to ligs so I'll leave it to them to explain.

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
First of all, welcome! :wave:

Her udder seems very full! Is it tight?
"Ligs" is our official lazy slang term for "ligaments". They are located right by her tail, starting from her tailbone. They feel like pencil like lines running down to the end of her rump. Here is a great 'sticky' thread made by some members on here http://www.thegoatspot.net/forum/f197/how-find-ligaments-112934/

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not really sure if its tight or not seems like she's been full for a while now. It isn't shiny tho like I've seen mentioned in some posts.

You know she actually has 4 teats too! I'm not sure if that's normal or not. 2 seem regular size and 2 r mini. Lol if that makes sense?

Thanks for the link :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
In the picture it looks like her kid(s) have dropped, so I would say she could go anytime. That is how it works for my does, anyway. :laugh: She may or may not have a strutted (tight and shiny) udder before she kids - some does do, but some does don't strut until they actually kid or right before. Good luck, and I hope everything goes well for you and your doe. :)

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
If you can still pinch skin on her udder, it is not strutted. If this is her first time kidding, she may not have a strutted udder until she actually goes into labor.

Most likely things will go just fine. You always here these horror stories and everything, but keep in mind that things usually go perfectly fine, called a "textbook kidding".

Good things to have on hand are:

Lube
OB gloves
Towels, and lots of them!
Tooth Floss for tying cords
Triodine 7 or gentle iodine if you can't find anything else.
Scissors
A calm additude. :)

Those are the main things I have had in the past. Lots of other things have been used but these are my main go-to things that are in my kidding/lambing kit.

Ligs, like Trinity stated, is just a "text talk" for ligaments. When your doe has the babies in position for the birth, her ligaments will become loose and fall, or sag down, both meaning the same thing.

It is harder of some does to find ligs IMO, but it can be done. Some does' ligaments will constantly fall and come back up, over and over again. So, this can be a cruddy signal when it comes to some does.

To find them, run you thumb and pointer finger down the end of her spine, putting pressure by her tail. Her ligs will be a triangle shape if you were looking at her rear end. Here are some pictures that might help you.

Attachments

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
You are welcome. :) Good luck!

Also, if she is a Boer, she might have four teats, or three teats. Some even have 5 teats! If two are "mini" then they probably won't work. The babies will learn to go for the big ones. It may take them a while and be a little bit harder for them to learn, but they will. Just put their mouths up to the working teats when they are born so you know they receive colostrum.

:D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Is her bag tight? If it is her teats she be very full and sticking straight. She should be very floppy in her back end. Also looks by her pic that she has dropped her babie! Congrats and happy kidding! You will love building your herd!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts