The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Im getting my first goat in two days!!! He's a beautiful Ober/Alpine mix buckling. And I'M TICKLED PINK!!! Only thing.....I have no idea what im doing /:
I've been reading reading reading & watching utube ALOT.
Im finding soo much great advice on this forum so THANK YOU!!
Also, im getting a wether to keep him company that's a few weeks older than him.
ANY INFO ON BUCK AND WETHER RAISING WILL BE PUT TO GOOD USE!!! Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
59,307 Posts
Are you planning to get females to breed with your buckling? Bucks do stink when in rut and it can be a very strong odor.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm a newby too!! I have two bucks but one I just had my pygmy, yogi, neutered by crushing... Not sure if this is wonderful method but my vet did it. My other is a nigerian dwarf 11 weeks old, should I do the crushing or is banding better? Also all advice from everyone will be put to great use here a well, I'm wondering if I'm feeding right, haying right, I did a lot of research but its a learning process! They are such a joy, adorable and funnyyyyy

·
Super Moderator
59,307 Posts
Either way is fine. I just band and do it myself. If you are just going to have the 2 pet goats, I would take him to the vet to have it done. Not worth buying the stuff and always good to have an established relationship with the vet.

·
14,615 Posts
Peachtree what your vet used is called a burdizzo. It's a little more pricey piece of equipment than an elastrator that one would use for banding.

Tonkatuff what are some of your goals for having a buck? Do you have does?
The feeding part is a balancing act; it all depends on what kind of hay & browse they have access to.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I will be using him for breeding this December to another ladies does. Then I will get one or two does :) this next summer.
Our winters here in Alaska are long and cold and dark. I know goats are hearty animals, and we're building a nice barn with stalls that can be divided with doors and protect my boys :)
Do food needs change in winter since they can't forage? Assuming just more hay consumption.

·
Super Moderator
59,307 Posts
Definitely more hay. Not sure of extra needs for Alaska though. Our winters in Ohio don't nearly get that cold. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts