Newish to

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Bexbabes, Jan 10, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Bexbabes

Bexbabes Member

Jan 10, 2019
    Canada
    Hey there! I’m fairly new to goats and so far have been lucky with no issues with my triplets(alpine/toggenburgs now almost a year!) We added a Nigerian Pygmy about 2 months ago and she gets picked on badly by the 3 bigger guys. Is there no way to get them to ‘accept her’? She also has a skin issue possibly mites according to the vet where her hair is falling out around her eyes she has scaly bumps on her body and the skin is now peeling around her eyes :,( she is being treated with oral ivermectin right now. any suggestions on how to help her be more comfortable? poor baby must be in pain with her skin like that and I don’t know what to do for her any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. Treva Brodt

Treva Brodt Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2019
    West Union, Ohio
    Hello. I'm new to raising goats and thegoatspot. I got started raising goats because a friend of ours gave us a runt to bottle feed,(with little hope of success). I am also a retired nurse and mother so the instincts and training kicked in. Our first Pygmy is a cherished pet and behaves like a dog with horns. Six months later I got another emergency call for a buckling that had been orphaned. Once again, I broke out the bottles, colostrum and milk replacement and was blessed with another healthy Pygmy. By then we had full fledged goat fever. We took our boys and homesteaded a few acres in the country. We acquired two standard breed does from an Amish farmer and two more Pygmy does. I have the same problem. My first goat is wethered and by far, the smallest. I just made special places for him to bed down. His favorite is a small dog igloo just outside the main shed. I let him follow me to the feed bin and let him eat ground feed there so he gets to eat without being butted away. The rest of the day he has access to the same hay and water as the other goats. It seems the only time there seems to be a problem is when there is competition for food or bedding. I'm sorry that I really didn't answer your problems about integrating your Pygmy with the rest of your herd but it's a solution that's working for us.

Dwarf Dad and GoofyGoat like this.

3. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Im not the best suited as i dont have a larger herd just a couple of pets.but since being here ive learned

they will adapt most likely.it takes time and a pecking order.
    keep an eye out for the lil gotee

the lil one may end up need her own partner like the little buckling.

keep an eye out on their behavior.

sorry on my phone lol

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Three large ones against a small one may never work. Especially with having Alpine in them. My experience is that Alpines are very nasty with other goats. I got rid of my Alpine for that reason. You are going to have to separate for eating and maybe even for sleeping. I'd get NuStock and put on any hairless areas except around the eyes. I'd also get Replamin Plus and give about 2.5 cc once a day for 5 days then once a week. The stress of being picked on is really reducing her immune system.

Fresh Paint Farm and Dwarf Dad like this.
  5. Dwarf Dad

Dwarf Dad Well-Known Member

6. Dwarf Dad

Welcome to the forum! Your helpfulness just proves that you belong here.:groupwelcome:

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others, welcome.

8. Bexbabes

Bexbabes Member

Jan 10, 2019
    Canada
    Ok thank you so much I will try to keep her separate for sleeping again! I had her in the ‘goat house’ but in her own area when we first got her but after 2 weeks let her roam free inside at night

9. Bexbabes

Bexbabes Member

Jan 10, 2019
    Canada
    Yes I’ve thought of getting her someone her ‘own size’ Lol one of my wethers will sometimes be cuddling her in the morning when I go in but as soon as I’m around they are so rude to her! :(

10. Bexbabes

Bexbabes Member

Jan 10, 2019
    Canada
    Oh gosh ok I hope they won’t be nasty forever :( one of the boys is nice to her sometimes but gets jealous when I’m around and paying attention to her. The triplets were bottle fed and really attached to me. Ok thank you I will get some nustock!! Ok is that prescription only do you know? I know I feel awful for her I just want her to be happy!!!

11. Bexbabes

Bexbabes Member

Jan 10, 2019
    Canada
    Ok awesome! I will ask the vet about injections thank you!!! Or can you just get it without prescription? Thanks so much for all the reply’s!
    thank you!

toth boer goats and Dwarf Dad like this.
  12. Dwarf Dad

I don't know about up there.