The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been incubating some guinea eggs my friend found, that the hen had gotten killed. Ive only hatched off 2 batches of chicks so im pretty new to it. Sunday they all hatched but a few so i left the unhatched eggs in the incubator. And Sunday night one more started to hatch. I checked on him the next morning and helped him open it up a little before i had to leave for school. When i got home he still hadn't hatched so i finally decided to just open it up the rest of the way for him. The humidity in it was so high that there was water droplets on the window part of the incubator but i guess it wasn't high enough or it was too high because the film part under the shell was stuck to him and i had to get a wet napkin to get it off him. I put him back in the incubator until he dried then i put him in with the others.

Tuesday when he should have started walking like the others its like one side of him dosent work? He can move them but he dosent? I guess he was just in an odd position for too long in the egg? I put it off at first that he was just weak from all that hassle of hatching but its been 2 days? What do yall recommend doing, give him more time to get stronger? I've been dipping my finger in water and touching the end of his beak with the water drop and he will drink like that but he hasent ate from my hand yet. He might have ate some of the feed i have left in there though. I decided if it gets worse or dosent get better within a week to put him out of his misery i would hate to see him have to live like that but ill do whatever yall think i should do.

·
2,203 Posts
We had a guinea keet this year do this as well...we ended up putting it down. Give it 48 hours and see if any improvement.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's like on one side its leg and wing works fine, but the other side dosent. He lays on the side that dosent work right and can crawl somewhat kind of pushing himself along. The bad side he can still move, if i pick him up he will flap his wings but he lets it hang weird when hes not moving it. Then his bad leg, moves too he will kick and stuff if hes upset but other than that he can't stand up just falls over.

·
2,203 Posts
It's like on one side its leg and wing works fine, but the other side dosent. He lays on the side that dosent work right and can crawl somewhat kind of pushing himself along. The bad side he can still move, if i pick him up he will flap his wings but he lets it hang weird when hes not moving it. Then his bad leg, moves too he will kick and stuff if hes upset but other than that he can't stand up just falls over.
Yup that exact same thing happened. Ours never got better. It scooted around in a circle. Ended up with swollen hocks, we put it down.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yea it sounds like something isn't right with it :( alot of people would just cull it but I have a soft heart so I always try to give them a chance. I would give it a couple days to see if it makes any progress.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I was thinking i was going to have to do. As sad as it is. :( i know i won't be able to do it though, im already attached, so im going to make my dad do it. I guess it will be for the best. Thank you guys for helping i wouldn't have been able to make that decision.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ill give him until Friday just incase but i dont think hes getting any better. I wonder what causes it? Muscles, broken bones, birth defect or the settings on the incubator? Im going to have to look that up and maybe make it so it dosent happen very often again. thanks again those were pretty quick answers. :)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
This was my first year hatching bantam cochin frizzles. I hatched about 250. I only had a few that something was wrong with them. One had splayed legs that I was able to fix :) the other 2 I tried to save but they passed on their own within a couple days. I haven't had to cull one. Even though its sometimes the right thing to do I just couldn't do it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow 250 in your first year? I guess practice makes perfect. :) I think im only up to about 60 haha. There was 2 more that never hatched they started and i had to help them a little but i left for church and came back and they were dead. They are way harder to hatch then chickens i think this will be the last batch of guineas i hatch for a while, ill stick to chickens. :)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
The first 100 or so sold very quick but then I ended up stuck with the rest and just gave them away.....lol I'll never hatch that many again.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So last night when i posted i was going to give him until Friday but decided it would be better to put him out of his misery when i saw him this morning. I would have had to wait and have it done after school, but when i got home today he was dead. I guess thats a good thing i wish i would have done it sooner. :(

I had them in a cardboard box the first day but Monday i moved them to a big plastic storage container with newspaper at the bottom and a towel for a lid. They have plenty or room but they go to the corner and ball up together on top of each other. I went to take them out tonight to change their paper and water out and found one dead at the bottom of the pile. Is there a way to keep them from squashing each other? Should i separate half of them into another container? Most of them were going to be given away to my cousin in a few days but i want them to be kid proof first so im waiting a week or 2 more.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
So last night when i posted i was going to give him until Friday but decided it would be better to put him out of his misery when i saw him this morning. I would have had to wait and have it done after school, but when i got home today he was dead. I guess thats a good thing i wish i would have done it sooner. :(

I had them in a cardboard box the first day but Monday i moved them to a big plastic storage container with newspaper at the bottom and a towel for a lid. They have plenty or room but they go to the corner and ball up together on top of each other. I went to take them out tonight to change their paper and water out and found one dead at the bottom of the pile. Is there a way to keep them from squashing each other? Should i separate half of them into another container? Most of them were going to be given away to my cousin in a few days but i want them to be kid proof first so im waiting a week or 2 more.
Do they have a heat lamp to keep the temp right ?My chicks usually only pile up to keep warm causing some to get squashed if they get cold. I put a thermometer to accurately tell me if they were warm enough and haven't had that problem since.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had a heat lamp in there for them for a few days but took it out because it stays in the 100s this time of year. Will they get too hot or should i put it back in? They are in a carport room with concrete floors and walls so it stays in the upper 90s.

Then i have a shoe box that i put a little baby doll blanket inside and cut a little hole in the side so they can hide and sleep in there and they go in there at night sometimes but not often. I have to fix a gate and the chick pen will be ready and ill have the brooder cage free once i move the other chicks over. It should be done tomorrow, then they will have room where there is a lamp if they get cold and a place without a lamp if they get hot.

Then in the process of hatching chicks i lost the incubator thermometer (im so aggravated about that), so i got my mom to bring me some thermometers from her work and they all say different temps. Im just glad the incubator stays at a constant temp because i have turkey eggs in there. As soon as the 2 turkey hatch im going on a incubation vacation for the rest of the year haha. I've gotten to the point i can't even eat eggs if i cook them. Lol i sound like a wuss. Thank you for the help i would have never guessed it as a heat problem. :)

·
2,203 Posts
Absolutely...aim the light to one side, or make the enclosure bigger. They will move away from the heat or back to it according to what they need.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so i finally got the other chicks moved and i have them where they should have been to begin with, in the the brooder. Everyone looks healthy and no more deaths so far, maybe it will stay that way.

I know i made this post for the guineas, but when i went to feed and move the older chicken chicks one looks gloomy and has greenish feet. They are old enough to have most there feathers in. I used to always get one or 2 chicks get sick when we used to have them but that hasn't happened in a while. Should i give it something or separate it so if it is sick the others can't get it? Should i just go ahead and put it down so it won't have to suffer like the guinea? Any ideas? As bad as it sounds, its only one chick out of 20 so loosing one isnt too bad, i knew sooner or later something would go wrong. I mean who ever heard of 100% hatch rate and every single chick surviving until its grown, so im not too upset. Maybe that dosent sound as bad as i think it does haha.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
About a 1/4 maybe less of mine didn't hatch or either died befor they made it completely out. It's normal for some not to hatch. If any are showing signs that something wrong I always separate just to be on the safe side:) if you think you should cull that's completely up to you if you can do it:)

·
2,203 Posts
I would try vitamin b, and sugar water or electrolytes. If you separate, grab another weak friend for him. They need buddies. I would also suggest trying an antibiotic as well. If you don't have anything and it's one of those deals where it's not worth bothering to try, go ahead and cull. I've culled many because of weak chicks, or not growing properly.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I'm just curious. There was a couple of times that I really did feel that it was the best thing to cull and once I finally convinced myself that I was gonna do it I just stood there with the chick in my hand and then realized I had no idea how to do it. I know how to cull grown grown chickens do you do chicks the same way?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts