The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
2,203 Posts
I'm just curious. There was a couple of times that I really did feel that it was the best thing to cull and once I finally convinced myself that I was gonna do it I just stood there with the chick in my hand and then realized I had no idea how to do it. I know how to cull grown grown chickens do you do chicks the same way?
Easiest way is just to grab a hold and pop the head clean off. I've heard people snipping off with extra sharp scissors, or taking a kitchen knife, but I much prefer my own hands. I can then thank the chick for the time he gave us. I know it sounds cheesy but I feel connected for a last minute and truthfully sorry I had to be the ending factor.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
We usually just do it the same way that we do when we go bird hunting, Just wring their necks its pretty easy and lasts 2 seconds and there is no blood. So thats probably the way ill go with that one ive never had a chick get sick like this and actually live through it, once his legs turn green and he gets that light weight feel is usually when i do it. He's not eating or drinking so ill get my dad to kill if, i know i can't do it to a baby. :( at least its chicks and not goats then i would be having a meltdown.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The chicken chick is looking a little better, i took him away from the others and i put the smallest in there with him for a buddy. I think he was getting bullied even the little one was pecking at him but not as much as the others were. So i hoping he will get strong enough to put back in with the others.

Then with the guineas. I've moved them into a 5X4 ft cage thats off the ground and has shaving on the floor of it. They have a light in there, and food and water at all times. But it hasent gotten better. :( If I open the lid they run around like crazy and are really wild acting even though they have been handled by us their whole lives. And they will be fine one minute and on their death bed the next it's crazy. Like to this morning i and checked on them and two was dead but the rest were fine then, all running around with loads of energy. I went and helped dad plant a grain plot and came back 30 min later and one was pretty much dead but not quite and another was laying down acting funny. It went on like that all day. Ive went from 15 to 6 in a week. I feel horrible about it. Then i told dad and he was like "oh yea and started naming this list of people that said they were really hard to raise. And im like "you couldn't have told me that before." So I've decided to give them all away to the person instead if keeping a few like i had planned.

What am i doing wrong? Or are they just that frail that they need an actual guinea hen to raise them that knows what she's doing. It makes me worried about the turkey eggs that are supposed to hatch in a few weeks or the duck eggs i preordered thats supposed to come in in a few months. As dumb as it sounds, I just thought everything was like chickens, but i guess not. :( i know one thing i dont want to hatch out any more guineas until im more experienced.

·
2,203 Posts
Do you have the heat lamp? Not a light bulb. A heat lamp?

·
2,203 Posts
I would also start mixing sugar water and forcing them to suck the mixture from a syringe. Doesn't take much to fill a chick. Keep sugar water out 24/7.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yeah it's a heat lamp. So i have the kind of waterers that is a upside down jar with a tray, can i mix water in that and leave it out or would be better to use a shallow bowl? Should i have sugar water and regular water both out, or just sugar water? I tried this morning to syringe a few drops in their mouths but im not sure how much they actually drank each, if they even swallowed any. It took forever just to get their mouths open. Ill try again tomorrow though. I underestimated these little guys.

·
2,203 Posts
Yeah it's a heat lamp. So i have the kind of waterers that is a upside down jar with a tray, can i mix water in that and leave it out or would be better to use a shallow bowl? Should i have sugar water and regular water both out, or just sugar water? I tried this morning to syringe a few drops in their mouths but im not sure how much they actually drank each, if they even swallowed any. It took forever just to get their mouths open. Ill try again tomorrow though. I underestimated these little guys.
Syringe- make a drop at the end of the syringe, and put their beak there. You'll see them drink the water. Slowly push the plunger. Put as much in them as they'll take. Once they shake their head, usually enough.

Water- no unless you have electrolytes in the water

Sugar water- works great in a drinker. And prefer to leave this out alone. We feed chicks sugar water for the first week of life (and keets and ducklings too).

Bowls are a no-no. They ALWAYS fall in and get wet. Wet feathers have no insulation. They chill and die.

How are the keets placed in the area? In a corner furthest away from the heat? Right underneath the heat? Together in a clutch? Or spread out everywhere? Have you seen how much they eat?

Another thing you can so it mash egg yolk and squirt a little vitamin B into it. It keeps the appetite up. The white is essentially nutritionless, so boil 2-3 eggs and mash the yolk.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So im down to 6. :( but those 6 look great. I haven't had a sick one today and i exchanged the water for sugar water and tried the syringe. That's a good tip to use sugar water the first week im going to start doing that. :) They usually just sleep in the middle, the heat lamp is on one side and they are about half way, sometimes closer.

The people im giving them to will get them sometime this week so im hoping they will stay healthy and not get sick anymore. Someone told me that they set a few chicken eggs to hatch a few days before the guineas and the chickens will show them how to eat and drink. If i ever hatch them again (very low chance) ill be sure to do that. I just didn't expect them to turn out like this. They are crazy tail wild, not one could hatch by themselves, and the first week half of them die. I know most of its my fault, but i like chickens so much better compared to these little guys. I just expected them not to be very tameable and i thought they would be really hardy. Then today at church someone told me that they could bring me some more guinea eggs to incubate if i wanted them, and i told them maybe next year. (not going to happen lol) So i learned the next time i get eggs that aren't chickens, to make a thread about everything i need to know ahead of time. Thank you to everyone that helped maybe these remaining ones will be more successful. :)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts