Nice news....goats in the community

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by bigoakfarm, Jun 12, 2008.

1. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Just a little bit of good news for a change.......A lady called from another town this morning and she was kind of stressed. It seems her church's Vacation Bible School has spent the week learning about the Heifer International Program and the big finale tonight was supposed to include some goats on display for their fundraiser. The church had hoped to raise enough money to buy one goat for Heifer International but this morning at the last minute - the petting zoo she had lined up called to cancel!

Soooo, she found us on the 'net and asked me if they could borrow a goat for their fundraiser. I cleaned up Casper who is one of our sweet little LaPine bucklings ( he couldn't go to church without his Sunday best, lol) and Jeremy took him 60 miles to work with him to meet the church members who picked him up there.

Not only did they meet their goal of raising the money for one goat, but they PASSED that goal and actually raised enough money for FOUR goats for Heifer International! Casper was a big hit! This is not my church and I don't know anyone in the congregation but I just think it's a wonderful cause and especially for a VBS when kids are still so young and impressionable. What a great lesson for those children! And so cool that they got the chance to learn how important and how valuable just one goat can be to a family in need.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    thats wonderful you could help out!!! I think that organization is great, I just learned a little about it recently

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    I think it was good of you to lend your boy especially for such a good cause.
  4. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    You know, we play with our goats as a hobby mostly, I'm sure not many of us actually make a significant amount of money doing this and are just happy if we can break even. It is a little amazing to me (and a little disconcerting), that in some countries 1 goat, can mean the difference between life and death, or at least food/no food. It's usually the woman that tends the goat...when the goat freshens she sells the kids or trades them for food staples. Then she has a year of milk, she uses for her family and trades what they don't use. If she's lucky enough...she can keep one of her doelings and that becomes a money maker. Now she is acquiring wealth, she produces more then she needs.

OK I need a :grouphug: now. Let's take a minute to give thanks for what we enjoy in this country :pray: thank you bigoakfarm for making me take a minute to think of things other then myself. :applaud:
  5. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    :grouphug: When I was a kid I remember our church having a fund raiser for the heifer project and at the rally we had
    animals in the church yard. This was a big thing in Los Angeles. I fell in love with the chickens and raised money to
    buy baby chicks. What is interesting is that I am still in love with chickens I have 25 hens and 2 roosters and expecting
    an order of 25 chicks and 2 baby turkeys at the end of the month. My husband and I decided to give the hens that were
    not laying eggs, laid small ones or laid only one per week to families that could use them. I guess the heifer project made
    an impression on my subconscious. We didn't have a goat at our rally but I'm sure I would have fallen in love with them too.
    As it turned out as a young adult I moved to Iowa and I met my grandmothers goat it was love at first sight for both of us. :love:

Thank you Kristen for the wonderful memories. :)

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Suellen, I'm originally from Iowa! City kid (Des Moines), but had farm family members. Small world!
  7. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    That is awesome! Raising money for four goats....that is really good! Thanks for sharing...I think Heifer International is a really neat program. :greengrin:
  8. bigoakfarm

bigoakfarm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I agree guys! We were honored to get to take part and I LOVE the Heifer International program because it helps people help themselves - it's not a one-time handout. We are SO blessed here in the US! :grouphug: