The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Nigerian buckling born last night with no problems. I got home from work today and he seems be standing hunched up. His temp is 101 his belly fills full but I’ve not seen him nurse yet. I tried giving him some colostrum in a bottle just to be on the safe side but he won’t suck so I took a syringe and gave some , he is not very active at all. What can I do?

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
Do an enema. Baby may need to poop. Once he has a good poop..betting he'll nurse.

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
Enema
Mix 1 tablespoon of oil in 1/2 cup warm water. Use a styring with no needle to stir and draw some up. Insert just the tip and slowly begin filling baby up. Go slow and be gentle. Most baby's fuss..but its not painful. Fill baby up until a little pushes back out. Massage tummy and get baby to walk around. If baby pushes enema out with little to no pooo..refill gently. Can take a bit time.

·
Fair-Haven
4,924 Posts
Some mamas are not great at cleaning baby's butt. Keep stimulating after the enema and show mama what her job is. I have a doe that won't clean her kids, so for the first few weeks I take a baby wipe and make sure no one is backed up.

·
8,495 Posts
His body temp seems low, to me. Try warming him up, then do the above. Make sure that milk or colostrum is warm- 103ºF.
Did you give him Vitamin B complex, Selenium (Bo-Se) and some vitamin E? That seems to really kick them into gear for survival.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts