The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Totally depends on genetics :) And sometimes management can play a role too.... if he comes from a small statured doe or buck, or even a mild cocci overload or enough of an upset tummy to not be able to manage his nutrition early on.

I currently have a 4 month old doeling who is dam raised and still has her mom thru the day, eats browse and hay like theres no tomorrow and only picks at her grain and she weighs 35lbs, her sire is smaller in build and her dam is slightly bigger.

·
Registered
600 Posts
He doesn't seem small to me? My doeling is about that size maybe smaller and she is 2 months...all goats are different and will grow at different rates, so I wouldn't worry :) Are the people telling you that he is small used to standard breeds? Or are they experienced with NDs? If you are personally worried he may be too small he might have stunted growth...is he otherwise normal? Eating, pooping fine? Are his eyelids normal color?

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
he doesnt look to small to me -- he wont achieve his full size until 2 years of age and even then he still growing till 4 years old.

I have a doe who is from a small sire and her daughter is bigger then she is! So not all Nigerian dwarfs are the same size. my herd is all varying sizes

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My friend has ND's and she even said he looked younger. He is now 4 months and looks the same size LOL. I have two ND (brown orig from Nigeria breed) and yes they are smaller than normal size goats, but he eats, and poops and everything is normal. He is even starting to quiver (phlegmen) his little upper lip..so cute... healthwise he looks fine. his back hooves are a little off (not flat) his fronts are fine.
The ppl I got him from have show goats and said he comes from a good blood line....

He doesn't seem small to me? My doeling is about that size maybe smaller and she is 2 months...all goats are different and will grow at different rates, so I wouldn't worry :) Are the people telling you that he is small used to standard breeds? Or are they experienced with NDs? If you are personally worried he may be too small he might have stunted growth...is he otherwise normal? Eating, pooping fine? Are his eyelids normal color?

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is reassuring :)

he doesnt look to small to me -- he wont achieve his full size until 2 years of age and even then he still growing till 4 years old.

I have a doe who is from a small sire and her daughter is bigger then she is! So not all Nigerian dwarfs are the same size. my herd is all varying sizes

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
with some help yes

I had a TINY buckling breed my largest doe with some assistance by me (I backed her up to a box and he jumped on from there). He was a horny little thing at that point so it made it easier.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Where theres a will theres a way... I have used a young buck on adult ND does and since I live on a hillside, it was easy enough to manipulate her to stand down hill :)

As Stacey said, not every ND is built the same... I myself have a few who are different in height and builds

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Can he could breed a larger Pygmy or Nigerian, yes. I have seen even miniature bucks easily breeding standards. Many, many, many people have mini bucks and stan. does because they have mini cross breeding operations. I wouldn't worry too much about him ;) And might I say... He looks like a teddy bear!

·
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A friend has normal size goats and he said that when she wants it that she bends down and lets the buck have her?

I guess I just don't know when to help or not LOL

with some help yes

I had a TINY buckling breed my largest doe with some assistance by me (I backed her up to a box and he jumped on from there). He was a horny little thing at that point so it made it easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts