The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 Nigerian dwarf does and a buck. 3 have kidded so far, waiting on 1. the first one who kidded in January has weaned her kids, and I think is coming into heat, I'm having to pull my buck off. my question is: what are opinions on breeding again this year?? all so far have been good and healthy birth and kids.

· Premium Member
4,956 Posts
I have 4 Nigerian dwarf does and a buck. 3 have kidded so far, waiting on 1. the first one who kidded in January has weaned her kids, and I think is coming into heat, I'm having to pull my buck off. my question is: what are opinions on breeding again this year?? all so far have been good and healthy birth and kids.
Most people will only kid a doe out once a year. Pregnancy, birth and nursing are all hard on a doe. If your buck is in with the does get him out of there now! Also know that there is a possibility they are already rebred. So i would pull blood and test all in six weeks (30 days is the minimum you can pull blood for preg testing) to be sure what you are dealing with.

Also. The buck needs come out for the doe who has not kidded yet as well. She will put off hormones that mimic heat cycle and he will try to do the deed. This is dangerous for her as well even though she is due to kid. Some people buck aprons but i would not want my does under that added stress either. A buck harassing and trying to mount a doe is stressful on her.

If an oops happens once it is not the end of the world but the does needs be watched closely for condition. Then if that does happen most will wait the next fall out and not rebreed until the following fall. Giving the doe a good long while (pretty much a year off) before putting that stress on her body again.

Also... if the does have bucklings. You need pull those guys as well if you are keeping them intact. When you wether the bucklings they still are carrying swimmers for sixish weeks after they are castrated. Nigis are notorious for being early risers in the buck dept. Bucklings can breed as early as 4-6 weeks old if they are extending their red rockets and they can also breed their young young sisters which is very dangerous for the doelings.

Good luck and i hope your does are not rebred already.

· Registered
275 Posts
Sfgwife said it well
Some does can rebreed within weeks of kidding, you need to remove the buck ASAP.
Breeding twice in one year is not in the best interests of the doe, pregnancy and nursing is hard on the body and they need time to recover.
A small percentage of producers will breed for three kiddings in two years, but it takes careful management and a high quality feed and supplement year round.

· Registered
1,605 Posts
I agree, it takes a lot out of a doe to grow kids either inside or out and she needs time to recover.
Once is okay but try not to let it happen more than once. It won't kill the doe but it can shorten how long she milks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.