The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
Here's a question for all of you Nigerian breeders: How young can a Nigerian buck breed reliably? I know they "can" breed as young as two months, but in your experience, at what age do they really get serious? I have two bucks that are 5 and 6 months and I was hoping to use them for this breeding season. I've put them in with a few does and they just don't quite "get it" yet... I would hate to miss breeding some of my does this year because of some immature bucks! I would love to hear your opinions! Thanks!

·
1,524 Posts
It may take a few days for the young bucks to figure it all out, but at 5 and 6 months, even the full sized bucks can get the job done.

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
I have found that 8 months old is usually the age that they can be reliable. But certainly your 5 or 6 month old can get the job done.

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
My first year I bought two bucklings born in February. I acquired a third that was born early July but he was from a smaller line (Rosasharn's Water Tabby) so I was not comfortable putting him with the older larger bucklings. Maybe if there had only been one but not with two of them and they had established a friendship/relationship. So he overwintered in the barn with doelings a 3-4 months older than him.

By the time he was a year old he already had 5 (maybe 6) litters on the ground.......he bred them all and I never saw him at his business....lol.

·
stonebrokefarm
158 Posts
On another note, I bought a bred doe only to later discover that she got bred by the two month old buckling in the paddock with his mother......not the spectacular buck she was suppose to have been bred too (babies came too early)......lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts